Visabilty Gili Air in December/January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Bambi81

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, my 17 year old and I have only ever scubaednon our annual trips to Maldives (July and August which are plankton-rich lower-visibility months). Son wants to take advanced open water at Gili air over the school winter break and it’s rainy season with lower visibility then too. Wondering if there’s much of a difference? We usually go to Bali every spring break (never dived there though) but can’t due to final exams. So wondering - viability - lower? Better? Approximately the same?

Bump

I teach high school, so I have traveled to Indonesia frequently during the December/January break. Gili Air has become our family's go-to place during Christmas and New Year's if we do not return to the US. There is no real answer to your question about visibility. I've been diving in the Gilis in January when vis is great...other times the whole area is washed with green. I would say more often than not, vis is just fine.

I teach high school, so I have traveled to Indonesia frequently during the December/January break. Gili Air has become our family's go-to place during Christmas and New Year's if we do not return to the US. There is no real answer to your question about visibility. I've been diving in the Gilis in January when vis is great...other times the whole area is washed with green. I would say more often than not, vis is just fine.
Hi Matt, thanks for replying! Really useful info and a good point that nature changes from year to year. The fact you keep returning during that time speaks volumes and is reassuring. I’ll keep your advice in mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom