Vis since the downpour?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Cove 2 was like swimming in a big bowl of clam chowder tonight (which BTW we did after the dive). I could barely see Doug's 24W HID light from 3 feet away.

There's so much runoff in the water, it didn't even taste salty ... and I don't even want to THINK about what all those floaties were ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I always wondered if it could rain hard enough for the salinity of the PS to actually lower.

NWGratefulDiver:
... and talk about timing, I leave for Sechelt tomorrow.

Been up there four times now ... and three out of four have been after torrential rains. The only time I went when they actually had their vaunted 100' vis was the time I came down with a head cold and couldn't dive.

Ah well ... I'll take what they've got, at least I'll be blowing bubbles ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For your sake I hope that it stays dry for a bit then.

I was out at Whitecliff on Sunday and had about 6 - 10 feet of viz at 80 fsw.

jeckyll:
For your sake I hope that it stays dry for a bit then.

I was out at Whitecliff on Sunday and had about 6 - 10 feet of viz at 80 fsw.

Darn it, I'm on that Sechelt trip as well, and it looks like you all are supposed to get a fair amount of rain (and wind) tomorrow. Hopefully, we can find some good vis, I've been dreaming about 50 ft+ vis (I'm not too greedy) since I signed up for this trip.

Anything is better than last night with Bob at Cove 2. FWIW, I can see a clear line of grean still out past Alki Point, so the Pipeline and Junkyard might be relatively clear, but the brown is almost all the way to Bainbridge Island, so I have a feeling this is going to blow the Sound out for a while . . .

dsteding: I was in one of the days off Indian Arm and we had something like 3 feet at the top :wink: But at least double that at depth LOL.

Sechelt might be better, I'd suggest posting up in the Western Canada forum to see if anyone has been there this week...

Bjorn

I was out at Edmonds last night, and I'd say that past the jetty, we had maybe 6 -8 feet at best; in the shallows, it was probably just 2 - 3 feet. It was pretty awful. I hate not seeing the bottom until I've slammed into it :)

I'm supposed to be doing a wreck workshop this weekend. Having a reel to run may turn out to be more than just an exercise!

TSandM:

I hate not seeing the bottom until I've slammed into it :)

You should try to slow your descent, I didn't realize 'slamming' in the bottom was very DIR :eyebrow:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

We were in Cove 2 this morning, fairly shallow (40 feet and above) because we were doing a class. Viz was pretty horrible (and I have to say that practicing a lights-out exit along a line, we didn't make it any better). I'd say no better than 10 feet at any point, and some places less than that. Great training conditions, but not great for fun diving.

Come On folks, get that viz squared away..PLEASE!

I'm coming down in a couple weeks for a few days with Grateful +?. Sure would like to actually dive and not just poke around in the "mud".

Redondo pretty much sucked today. Our first dive viz varied from 1-3 feet down to about 40' then opened up to about 10 feet at best. By the time we did our second dive it was even worse (Jackie actually ran into the concrete tube before seeing it). Only went to 60' but it didn't improve at all and we called the dive after 25 minutes or so. Hope it's better soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom