Virtual cave diving video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.diveoutpost.com is one place that does instruction, they have contact information up, there are several others as well like ginnie springs, cave excursions.

For cavern at a minimum you'll need two lights, a safety reel and a primary reel.

I personally recommend at a minimum an H valve, DIN, 5 foot hose with bungied backup, a safety, and a primary, if you plan on going further than cavern at some point look into hogarthian configurations with a back plate and harness with 7 foot hose.

Cavern will give you the skills you need to enter an overhead environment, but keep in mind wrecks present some of their own challanges beyond overhead.

Excellent. Thanks, Fixxer. I'd like to take either a cavern course or a wreck-entry specialty course, so I can be "official." I've entered the Spiegel Grove and the C-53, as well as part of the cave in Vortex Spring. I guess it's time I took some kind of a class for overheads, huh? LOL

As I wait to download this video...I think Gavin scooters would have been nice and that the cameraman is doing a good job of keeping up. The second guy needs to get his tushy up a bit. X

As I recall, you don't need a primary for cavern, the insructor (or at least my instructor) provides one. Of course, if you do any non-class cavern dives, someone on your team will need one. If you dive with the same people all the time, you can usually go in together on a primary.

You know, I doubt the Cozumel dive operators would even let you use appropriate overhead procedures (running a line) on the C-53. Too many OW divers in there that would end up snagging their split fins on it :)

5 hours later (on DSL) I have downloaded 75% of the video. Again, the cameraman is remarkable at following the duo and maintaining distance, focus and personal balance. The bad thing is that he's following #2 who has his moments of hand waving and a low butt ring loaded with stuff that upsets his streamlining. Very interesting.

A similar video might be to order one of Silent Submersions videos of scooter diving. His videos feature remarkable cave diving footage and some spectacular scooter handling. Well worth watching. X

p.s. of course the WKPP has some interesting footage of tricked out cave diving. NHK filmed them a few years ago on HD. Great stuff.

Fish_Whisperer:
How does one sign up for a cavern course in Florida? What do costs usually run? What kind of special equipment is needed for a cavern course, as opposed to a cave course?

What about getting a cert. for overhead environments? (i.e. entering wrecks, etc.)

Johnny Richards answers all of your questions on his website. He doesn't dive wrecks (actually hasn't been in salt water for several years). There aren't as many wreck courses out there as cavern/cave, and most wreck courses don't train for penetration.

I'd like to take either a cavern course or a wreck-entry specialty course, so I can be "official." I've entered the Spiegel Grove and the C-53, as well as part of the cave in Vortex Spring. I guess it's time I took some kind of a class for overheads, huh? LOL

Please take a course before you enter another overhead environment! This way you can learn how much of a risk you're taking by doing what you've done. It's no laughing matter. I've been in situations in which I'm extremely thankful for my training otherwise I might not be here today. And I've read about a lot of divers that have entered overhead environments with no training and aren't here today. Don't become another statistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom