Virginia Beach Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted,

I hope to get out in the coming weeks, first to give the boat a good check after doing some maintenance and then head offshore. We try and get 6 divers on the boat. I've had as many as 8 divers but it's gets too crowded with gear bags, etc.

For this season my hope is to get HD video and photos of the wrecks. So, the first wrecks we hit would be around the Triangle Reef area. That largely depends on the divers on that day. I'll dive anywhere and on anything. If you use Nitrox we most often use a 34% mix. With that you'll dive any wreck in the area.

Much depends on the weather and I watch the NOAA forecast pretty close coming into the weekend. Final go/no-go is usually on Friday afternoon and is based on weather. The morning of the dive we'll look at winds and sea state and decide on which wreck to dive. Then off we go!

Later in the season I want to get off the Eastern Shore and will likely position the boat out of Chicoteague for a while. Then there's Morehead City...simply great diving! Have trailer, big truck, will tow for diving.

You've seen in the forums, water temps can be a bit on the cool side. A 7mm wet suit, hood, gloves will do fine in all but the coolest months. Late summer and early fall will have the warmest water temps. However, over the past years the water's been cooler than normal. Perhaps Bobby or Andy can weigh in on this, but then, they dive dry. But I think the last couple of years haven't brought the warmer water in the fall.

Hey, it's all good when you're diving!

Safe Diving,
Wil

Wil,
I would love to dive with you this year. PLease let me know when you are going. I've got the gear (drysuit, light, etc), live right at the beach, have a decent amount of experience, and now that I am no longer in a job that has me travelling 130 days a year have the time to dive locally. Hopefully the weather cooperates this spring more than it did in the fall.

Rob
757-647-7830
rstrepeta@yahoo.com
robert.trepeta@navy.mil

I am currently using AL80 with air, but am taking the NITROX course this month and getting a couple of steel 100's for NITROX. Looking for ways to enjoy diving with more time underwater considering all the time it takes to get there. As long as I am diving it is a good day...

It sounds like you are hitting some of the key sites that I have been hearing about. And sounds like great diving. I am glad to hear that you maintenance sounds like it is going well, what store do you use to get your parts (filters, oil, etc). When I de-winterize my boat I want to change all the fluids and filters out (just got the boat late last season and the mechanic that took care of it did a good job, but I like to start fresh and know when everything was done and to what level).

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised how nice a dry suit is and that you still have good freedom of movement. If I can dive and be comfortable (warm, or at least not freezing) then it is a great day!

I will keep an eye open for when you are going out and would like to go with you anytime you have room. My family is great about me going diving when an opportunity presents itself...and we balance it with a lot of family activities...all great stuff. I am still waiting for my 12 year old to get interested in scuba to have a buddy.

Thanks,
Ted

Wil and Ted, et al,

I'm another local always interested in heading out, and have some cash to chip in for expenses. I also have a 3/4 truck with quad for the commutes.

Full gear, dry, and twins. Let me know when you're heading out, and I'd be glad to join you.

Mike
Michael.J.Welker@nasa.gov

Wow, sounds like the "FREEDOM" is going to be a tough ticket this spring.

Hope you don't forget about us.

Yes a drysuit is a nice piece of equipment, I (before drysuit) used my 6.5 mm Mares semi-dry in water temps to the lower 40s, but since if it is below 60 it's drysuit all the way.

Even though Will has 1 of the best ladders to get back in the boat of any small boat out there doubles are still a challenge with twin outboards, not that we don't still use them, but our 121s pumped makes it a bit easier & we carry almost as much gas with less effort.

Ted, dump the 100s idea & move up to the LP 121s, I am 5'8 & they don't cause a problem with my trim & the 100s (HP I presume) don't carry that much more gas than the alum 80s. If the 121s are too much the LP108s pumped are also a great tank, I have 2 sets of them as doubles.

They were HP 100's and 7/8", so I am taking your advice (that plus I still have a yoke and with the 300 bar (on the 100) I would have to convert to DIN...more money) and starting to looking for LP 121 or 108. Still need to do some research on them. Trying to keep the cost down, but get the most air for the buck. The holidays were good to me with scuba gear, but now I have to watch some of that spending...

Why do you like the LP over HP? Any recommendations on where to look for used tanks with current hydro/VIP? Or is it best to suck it up and buy new to prevent potential problems?

Thanks,
Ted

You'll get better fills (generally speaking) with LPs over HPs. Not everyone's equipped to do HP fills, nor does everyone take the time to do more than a 'hot' fill.

I run twin HP100s, with my drysuit, and have no need for additional weight fresh. It reduces my weight belt to 12lbs. salt.

More gas, more time at depth, and less lead? priceless

Bobby,

Now if the weather cooperates we'll be diving a lot this year. You, Trina, and Andy are always welcome (you know this).

I too have double 112's and single 121's for diving. And I'm working with S&S Marine to make the climb aboard easier with some other hand grabs There's never a good reason to stop tinkering with the boat. I'll be looking to figure out how best to situate the video camera for the trip offshore. I'd like to capture the wrecks and some spearfishing action.

I'll be watching the weather over the next few weeks...

Wil, I had S&S Marine install some hand holds early in 2009 and found their work to be an excellent addition to my boat. I've got some pic's that I'll send to your NAVY.MIL address.

r/ Dave

They were HP 100's and 7/8", Any recommendations on where to look for used tanks with current hydro/VIP? Or is it best to suck it up and buy new to prevent potential problems?

Thanks,
Ted

Ted keep your eye on Craigslist . I have picked up 2 LP121s and a LP95 over the winter from CL. It saved me a ton of money vs buying new.

CL Scuba link............Clicky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom