VIP sticker fell off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
Today I dropped by the LDS to get my tank topped off and they noticed my VIP sticker was gone.

It was one of those Padi VIP+ stickers that are placed at the neck of the tank, half circle type about 1/2" wide. The LDS said they quit using that style because they've had them fall off their tanks as well.

I looked at my other 2 tanks, out of 3 tanks one has it left. 2 have fallen off. The tanks are Steel HP tanks, one was an old painted Genesis HP100, the other 2 are newer Norris Steel HP120's which are galvanized.

The question is, how many of you have had the stickers fall off that are of this design? Is there a trick to get them to stay on? I'll drop by the dive shop that did the vis since it's not over a month or two since they did it and have them redo things, but I'd like to keep this from occurring again.

I've had one sticker fall off and it was the "normal square one" you put towards the bottom of the tank. It was soon after a visual.

We could have prob taken it back to the LDS that did the visual and gotten a new sticker (for no charge), but unfortunately we didn't discover until we had just run across the gulf stream to bimini and the LDS there wouldn't fill our tank without charging us for another visual. Oh well.

I have put stickers on just after draining the tank and it was cold, they don't seem to stay on as well when I do that. Could just be my imagination though. If your shop gives you a problem PM me and I will see if I can help. Try them first though.

Brent

hunter991:
I have put stickers on just after draining the tank and it was cold, they don't seem to stay on as well when I do that.
Brent

I am with Brent.... The tank temp is the critical factor. Try to put the sticker when you fill the tank quick (tank temp goes up). It will last forever. :D

Well, it's not a problem. I went diving with them last weekend and when I got back they punched me a new one and we put it on. So it was not a problem, but I did find it odd that it fell off because it seemed that the old ones are on really well.

My tanks don't get that hot on a fill because I have Nitrox fills and they're normally done pretty slow. I suppose I could get a hot fill with air though...

cummings66:
Well, it's not a problem. I went diving with them last weekend and when I got back they punched me a new one and we put it on. So it was not a problem, but I did find it odd that it fell off because it seemed that the old ones are on really well.

My tanks don't get that hot on a fill because I have Nitrox fills and they're normally done pretty slow. I suppose I could get a hot fill with air though...
Just be sure not to blow your tanks o2 clean state with a dirty air fill, if your shops require o2 clean for PP blending Nitrox.

Not your imagination at all. Most pressure sensitive adhesives don't work as well on a cold surface. Also, if the surface is colder than the surrounding air it will usually condense some moisture, which will also hinder sticking.

hunter991:
I have put stickers on just after draining the tank and it was cold, they don't seem to stay on as well when I do that. Could just be my imagination though.

Brent

CompuDude:
Just be sure not to blow your tanks o2 clean state with a dirty air fill, if your shops require o2 clean for PP blending Nitrox.

That's the drag with diving Nitrox around here, they're all PP fills and few shops have O2 clean air. I know of 2 that I trust to have O2 clean air. However for the most part I'll dive Nitrox and not worry about air, air locally costs as much as the Nitrox fill does down at the lake. I think letting the tank warm naturally up is about the best way to go. It's what I did anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom