VIP for Ponies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DOT has very long arms and many sub-divisions. It wouldn't surprise me if they had their hands in the scuba industry.

However by DOT definitions, commerce applies to transit in vehicles. So, if you put a compressed air bottle in a vehicle, and drive it around it is involved in commerce. Quote

Definition= Commerce is a division of trade or production which deals with the exchange of goods and services from producer to final consumer. It comprises the trading of something of economic value such as goods, services, information or money between two or more entities.

So driving a tank around in my car does not meet the definition of commerce.

Definition= Commerce is a division of trade or production which deals with the exchange of goods and services from producer to final consumer. It comprises the trading of something of economic value such as goods, services, information or money between two or more entities.

So driving a tank around in my car does not meet the definition of commerce.

Captain, I don't disagree with you but by that logic, and definition, a person driving an RV wouldn't need to comply with DOT regs (in particular those regulations pertaining to propane tanks ) I have spent much of my carreer dealing with DOT guidelines and HAZ MAT regulations. Like I said before, the DOT has much longer arms than many believe and know.

Steve

The problem with bureaucracy is that each level generally takes a more conservative stance on the rules than the level above it. I was once diving at a U.S. government facility that was requiring all the DOT rules to be met before a tank went into the water. They got pretty mad when one in our group tried to get into the water with a out-of-hydro Spare-Air. I'd like to see someone try to stamp a Spare-Air with a hydro date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom