VIP Cost for Nitrox Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of the O2 clean after hydro rule - I hydro'd 4 of my HP steels last year and they didn't require an O2 clean then. I've actually never got any of my tanks O2 cleaned as my LDS banks EAN32. Today I paid $12 for a VIP on one of those HP steels with $8 for an EAN32 fill (air fill would have been free).
You only have to O2 clean if shop is using partial blending method for nitrox fills since 100% O2 in pumped into tanks first then top up with air. Also those prices are great most shops in Northeast charge $15-$20 for a EAN32 HP fill with most air fills being $8-10.

When I was a fill monkey at a dive shop that filled nitrox via pp blending, you can be damn sure I required a new O2 clean every VIP. I have no idea what you are doing with your tanks, all I know is that it was O2 clean when it left the shop after the last VIP. And O2 cleaning was a ~4 hour process, so it wasn't cheap. That shop really wasn't set up for nitrox though.

It's my life and limbs on the line when I'm filling, so if you don't like it, get your own compressor.

Or go some place with a membrane/bank system.

-Chris

O2 cleaning and VIP for a set of doubles was quoted at $150 not including a $50 nitrox 32-36 fill in El Paso.

I wanted a bag of whatever he was smoking and do my own O2 cleaning and VIP now

$150 for breaking down a set a doubles, viping and O2 cleaning 2 tanks, 2 valves and a manifold then re-building a set a doubles doesn't sound too bad. The fill does seem a bit steep though.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom