VIP and Shipping Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a couple of AL80's that I want to ship to St. Thomas from the US... all have current VIP and Hydro. I know that the valves need to be removed before shipping but I am wondering if they would need to be re-vipped after arriving at the destination. What's keeping me from just blowing them out with air, putting some ChristoLub on the threads and reattaching the valve?

I don't have a great answer for you but: does St. Thomas require annual VIPs? I know some places (Europe?) don't.

There is nothing really stopping you. Plug the tank neck for shipping (packing tape over the opening will work) to keep stuff out. I wouldn't even bother blowing the tank out at the destination unless there was stuff in it. Replace neck o-ring, lube threads very lightly (bottome 3 threads only), and put valve back on hand tight plus plus. (or look up manufacturers torque specs.

You biggest problem, especially if you're in a place that requires a VIP, is getting a fill with a dead empty tank. Many shops will want to look inside if they get a tank w/o any pressure. If the tank has been stored for a good period of time w/o pressure this could lead to contamination.

Of course, YMMV, always obey local laws, and make sure you know what you are doing. If changing a reg mouthpiece, a hose o-ring, valve face o-ring, or changing your car's oil freaks you out, don't try this at home. No warrenties are expressed of implied with this "advice."

zboss:
Hi Folks,

I have a couple of AL80's that I want to ship to St. Thomas from the US... all have current VIP and Hydro. I know that the valves need to be removed before shipping but I am wondering if they would need to be re-vipped after arriving at the destination. What's keeping me from just blowing them out with air, putting some ChristoLub on the threads and reattaching the valve?
Excellent question... that's exactly what I did with my 13 cu ft pony, minus the ChristoLub part. I just stuck it in my check-on suitcase (sans valve) and didn't say a word when I checked in. I had called United Airlines earlier, and they told me in general it's OK to check on a scuba tank if you remove the valve. When I got to my destination I just screwed in the valve and had them fill it up. They gave the valve a whack with a rubber mallet first when I told them it was only hand tight. When I got back my LDS did basically the same thing, so they weren't too worried about getting the tank vipped.

I did get a plastic screw-in plug for the tank before I travelled with it however to keep crud out of it.

United does say in their fine print they might charge extra for check-on scuba gear. I wasn't sure what that was about, so I didn't bother telling them about it when I checked in. It was bad enough that I had to pay overweight charges on the return trip (wet gear:)

Jerry

geraldp:
Excellent question... that's exactly what I did with my 13 cu ft pony, minus the ChristoLub part. I just stuck it in my check-on suitcase (sans valve) and didn't say a word when I checked in. I had called United Airlines earlier, and they told me in general it's OK to check on a scuba tank if you remove the valve. When I got to my destination I just screwed in the valve and had them fill it up. They gave the valve a whack with a rubber mallet first when I told them it was only hand tight. When I got back my LDS did basically the same thing, so they weren't too worried about getting the tank vipped.

I did get a plastic screw-in plug for the tank before I travelled with it however to keep crud out of it.

United does say in their fine print they might charge extra for check-on scuba gear. I wasn't sure what that was about, so I didn't bother telling them about it when I checked in. It was bad enough that I had to pay overweight charges on the return trip (wet gear:)

Jerry
Was this before or after 9-11? I thought the policy on tanks had changed since then. I checked TSA's website, but couldn't find them prohibited, maybe I missed something.

I always thought the extra charges were for over weight limits.

Hm... ok. Of course I am comfortable with changing the oil :) Actually - I started my Gas Blender cert and plan on getting my VIP cert also... BUT a REAL vip would require me to use tools I don't plan on bringing along.

That's a good point about filling the tank with zero pressure... I forgot about that part.

Where do I find plugs that fit the cylinder?

zboss:
Hm... ok. Of course I am comfortable with changing the oil :) Actually - I started my Gas Blender cert and plan on getting my VIP cert also... BUT a REAL vip would require me to use tools I don't plan on bringing along.

That's a good point about filling the tank with zero pressure... I forgot about that part.

Where do I find plugs that fit the cylinder?
Real VIP... are you saying VIP+ - the machine that checks for neck cracks. I'm not a certified VIP+ tech, but I'd hazard to guess that you're okay as long as that is done every year.

I would at least look into the tank and make sure no crud is in there, so bringing a light (or even a small rope light (Home Depot $3.99) would be a good idea) and always take a look at the threads whenever you're in a tank so maybe a small slice of mirror.

Plugs, I have the plugs that came OEM with my tanks. But packing tape will work in a pinch.

Of course, I know absolutely nothing about this, so don't listen to me. And always remember the liability game. If someone found out you took the valves off and something happened, they'd sue you not the shop that orginally VIPed them. YMMV

geraldp:
I just stuck it [my pony] in my check-on suitcase (sans valve) and didn't say a word when I checked in.
SCUBA cylinders are now prohibited from both carry-on and checked-in baggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage."

Doesn't mean you won't get on a plane with it, but it'll be a bummer if they refuse it when it's time to go home...

Roak

Hmmm, so we need to find other, more expensive means to transport tanks any longer. Yeah those empty tanks are such a hazard ya know.

mer:
Of course, I know absolutely nothing about this, so don't listen to me.

one of the most honest things I have heard on this board lately.. trust me I KNOW i am full of **** but I'm up to my own ears and it keeps me from hearing it spill from my mouth! LOL.

roakey:
SCUBA cylinders are now prohibited from both carry-on and checked-in baggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage."

Doesn't mean you won't get on a plane with it, but it'll be a bummer if they refuse it when it's time to go home...

Roak

Parcel Post... $27 from Virginia. I wonder if I still have to remove the valves...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom