VIP and Shipping Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
SCUBA cylinders are now prohibited from both carry-on and checked-in baggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage."
Technically, a scuba tank with the valve removed is not a compressed gas cylinder.

United Airlines told me 4 weeks ago that I could check my tank if I removed the valve. I called the 1-800-United-1 help line and that's what I was told.

However, I did not confirm that with TSA when I travelled domestically with my pony bottle 2 weeks ago - I simply removed the valve and stuffed it into my check-on. I was not hassled on either side with the check-in process.

My LDS owner flew internationally with his ponys last month - same procedure.

zboss: My LDS sold me a plastic screw-in plug with a rubber washer for about a buck.

Jerry

geraldp:
Technically, a scuba tank with the valve removed is not a compressed gas cylinder.

United Airlines told me 4 weeks ago that I could check my tank if I removed the valve. I called the 1-800-United-1 help line and that's what I was told.

However, I did not confirm that with TSA when I travelled domestically with my pony bottle 2 weeks ago - I simply removed the valve and stuffed it into my check-on. I was not hassled on either side with the check-in process.

My LDS owner flew internationally with his ponys last month - same procedure.

zboss: My LDS sold me a plastic screw-in plug with a rubber washer for about a buck.

Jerry

As a followup, I just called TSA (from the Contact Center phone number listed on page http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=179). The person on the line confirmed what United told me - that I could check on a scuba tank if I removed the valve for inspection.

Jerry

zboss:
Parcel Post... $27 from Virginia. I wonder if I still have to remove the valves...
That's an excellent price - that way you don't have to hassle with the airlines at all. I suspect you'll still have to remove the valves, though, if the tanks will be shipped via air.

I would check with the postal service. I'm sure they have a list a mile long of what's illegal to ship.

Didn't the deadly ValueJet crash in the everglades several years ago get finally attributed to some O2 tanks in the cargo hold?

Jerry

geraldp:
As a followup, I just called TSA (from the Contact Center phone number listed on page http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=179). The person on the line confirmed what United told me - that I could check on a scuba tank if I removed the valve for inspection.
I'll reiterate, that's not the TSA rules. You might get lucky, you might not. Saying "Well I talked to a TSA person on the phone and they said it was OK" isn't going to hold much water if they have a printed rule in front of them that says "no cylinders."

You're welcome to roll the dice, but don't get upset if you're forced to leave your cylinder behind. After all, you've been warned...

Roak

geraldp:
Didn't the deadly ValueJet crash in the everglades several years ago get finally attributed to some O2 tanks in the cargo hold?
O2 *generation* cannisters which contain chemicals that "burn" to generate O2 (and lots of heat -- which was the problem).

Roak

geraldp:
That's an excellent price - that way you don't have to hassle with the airlines at all. I suspect you'll still have to remove the valves, though, if the tanks will be shipped via air.

I would check with the postal service. I'm sure they have a list a mile long of what's illegal to ship.

Parcel Post packages are sent via ground transportation. Removal of the valve is reccomended by the USPS but not required. As a safety precaution, you should mark the outside of the package with large markings "GROUND TRANSPORTATION ONLY" just in case.

The list of non-shippable stuff for the USPS is VERY common sense: explosives, ammunition, hazmat, etc are no go.

geraldp:

Jerry
PST ships its new tanks with valve in-place, SOP. The put a cardboard ring over the crown of the tank to keep the valve from taking any blows in transit. The valve is closed and there isn't any real pressure in the tanks, save a small "hisss" when you open the valve after receiving it.

Dive shops are cheap, so it's SOP that these things are shipped ground. (It gets here when it gets here!)

geraldp:
I suspect you'll still have to remove the valves, though, if the tanks will be shipped via air.

Jerry

You can ship a tank through the USPS ground with a very low pressure fill. We regularly ship tanks filled to 20 to 40psi Max (Not 200 or 2000 :11: ) but 20psi to 40psi by Fedex to keep moisture out after we visually inspect them for service. Thats the pressure of a bike tire. :wink: Fedex ground or home delivery is 9 times out of 10 cheaper then the USPS and includes the first $100 worth of insurance standard.

Also noticed someone posted on visual plus testing every year. It is REQUIRED only on bottles made from 6351 alloy to detect sustained-load cracks. If your tank is less then 15 or so years old you are safe from SLC's. If you have a bottle made after I believe 1988 it is made from 6061 alloy which Luxfer has yet to detect a case of SLC on. Luxfer DOES NOT suggest eddy current or Vis+ the newer 6061 alloy bottles per their press release in Feb of this year. See the link

Luxfer cylinder inspection policy concerning the use of eddy-current devices

Just a FYI - I don't work for the USPS or Fedex :crafty:

roakey:
I'll reiterate, that's not the TSA rules. You might get lucky, you might not. Saying "Well I talked to a TSA person on the phone and they said it was OK" isn't going to hold much water if they have a printed rule in front of them that says "no cylinders."

You're welcome to roll the dice, but don't get upset if you're forced to leave your cylinder behind. After all, you've been warned...
Roak
Yes I would feel a lot better if I could get something in writing...

roakey:
SCUBA cylinders are now prohibited from both carry-on and checked-in baggage:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

"Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage."

Doesn't mean you won't get on a plane with it, but it'll be a bummer if they refuse it when it's time to go home...

Roak
You might want to give them a call to verify their wording. Their definition of Dive Tank is a compressed gas cylinder. With the valve off, their is no compressed gas. I've seen valve-less tanks being loaded in my cargo hold, but I'm not sure the specifics around who was shipping them. I'm flying later today. I'll ask a TSA super to see what they have to say about it. I know, one of one hundred answers due to mixed standards. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom