VINTAGE "SUPERMAN" SWIM SNORKEL 1950'S OVER $700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Must be the highest price reached - so far - for a snorkel - ever! And there are already 8 bids.

The Superman snorkel first became available in 1955 and remained on sale until 1956, if the online newspaper archive I have just searched is anything to go by. I found a couple of relevant ads from 1956:

1. Daily Press, Friday, 3 Aug 1956, p31.
upload_2021-6-10_5-54-58.jpeg

2. The Paducah Sun, Thursday, 21 June 1956, p32.

upload_2021-6-10_5-56-39.jpeg

A rise from $1.23 to $755.00 is quite a price hike! 39 inches is also incredibly long for a breathing tube when the current European Standard EN 1972 of 2015 stipulates a maximum snorkel length of 350 mm (13.78 inches). You might have to be Superman to swim with it below the surface.:wink:

Over the years on eBay I've seen similar models branded Riviera and Swim King with much more affordable starting bids:
upload_2021-6-10_6-19-7.png

upload_2021-6-10_6-18-3.png

I have one in my collection. The idea of a long knotted elastic band attaching the tube to the temples without being anchored to the dive mask seems unique to 1950s America. I have never chanced upon a European breathing tube featuring this alternative mode of attachment.

I have that same swim king also. It's huge. I bet the Superman goes over a grand. Still a few days left. I missed a Superman mask with built in snorkel way back. They have some Superman kid fins in the box on the bay. Not cheap either. Thanks David for the info.

holy crap a twelve thousand dollar snorkel!

Yes. Most of the time the box is worth more than the item itself. But early Superman stuff is highly collectable. The world's most expensive comic over three millon dollars. Action # 1. I have a Thunderball toy speargun box from the 60's. It goes for over $200 just for the box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom