Vintage scubapro reg set and Sea-Vue SPG ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That large o-ring does look like a -022 (based on scaling from the -008) so it would be a Mk2.

I measured it and it came in at 22.45mm. I'd probably go with 22mm.

DA, there appears to be a place for 2 exhaust valves in series. Was there 2 and if so, does the second one's retainer come off or do you just work the inner valve in place through the holes?

ScubaJoe, if you don't care to restore the capillary part of the SeaVue gauge, I have some standard face rings I would trade you. The cap gauge was an option and it just screws off (somethime it takes a good bit of coaxing :) ). If you want to restore it, shoot me a PM, I can help you with the tubing. By the way, there are 2 different hose versions that came with that gauge and all of them are 3/8x24 instead of the modern 7/16x20 size.

DA, there appears to be a place for 2 exhaust valves in series. Was there 2 and if so, does the second one's retainer come off or do you just work the inner valve in place through the holes?

I would not install the inside one. I would only installed the outside one. It would be less flow resistance.

The inside valve would have to fold to allow the exhaust air to go past it since it is inside a barrel.
The outside valve only has to lift a little and air can flow out the sides.
If I recalled, we tried it and it did work better, but I don't remember any details.

If you look at the catalog page on post # 20, at the bottom of the second stage description it talks about the dual exhaust valve to guaranty dry breathing regulator. I guess that was a big selling feature... :rolleyes:

I would only install one myself - like the AMF/Voits that used 2 in series, I was mainly interested (just curious) in how to go about getting the inner one installed. In other word, can the outter retainer be removed or is it fixed in place and you work between them.

I've never bothered to replace an inner one, so I've never attempted to remove the outer retainer, but I suspect that it is permanently installed, if for no other reason that I have never seen one missing (i.e, if it can be lost, it will be lost).

Provided the stem on the mushroom valve is long enough you could feed the inner one in from the outside and work the valve past two of the spokes in the outer retainer, then trim off the stem after it is installed.

In contrast, if the stem on the mushroom valve is short, installing the outer one is a bit of a PITA as well as you have to pull it through to the stop with needle nose pliers working through the spokes of the inner retainer.

----

I suspect the two valve arrangement was a better (but probably short lived) marketing gimmic than it was a real world success. Small exhaust valves are bad enough but two of them in series is even worse.

In contrast, if the stem on the mushroom valve is short, installing the outer one is a bit of a PITA as well as you have to pull it through to the stop with needle nose pliers working through the spokes of the inner retainer.

I have found that with a little lube on the tapered part of the stem (very little as it can attract dirt) it is possible to push the stem into place. Think of it as pushing a short rope.

I have found that with a little lube on the tapered part of the stem (very little as it can attract dirt) it is possible to push the stem into place. Think of it as pushing a short rope.

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Along those lines a gunsmith friend of mine was in his shop making some suggestive comments about his wedding tackle near his wife of about 30 years who looked at him, smiled and said "and who do you think you are going to please with that?" without missing a beat he said "myself!"

Back
Top Bottom