Vintage scubapro reg set and Sea-Vue SPG ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I recall servicing one of these two regulators was about 1967. I was looking over Bob Hollis’ shoulder when he owned the Anchor Shack in Hayward, California. I imagine that it was the Mark II since Bob was a Scubapro dealer and would have acted on a recall — unless maybe it was too far past warranty. :confused:

I don't think this recall would have had a time limit. I think it was a major safety recall.

I am not sure if they got the year wrong or there is some other variation involved. Attached is a catalog page from ScubaPros’ 1964 catalog. It looks like the first generation Mark I first stage to me.

Yes, it is most definitely a first generation MK-1. Look at the pictures below.

I completely agree with you that the second stage was almost certainly the limiting factor, at least at shallow depths and high cylinder pressures.

The second stage is normally the primary mechanism that determines a regulator performance. Most first stages, all they have to do is maintain a reasonably constant IP. As far as I know, only some very poor first stages could not keep up, in the past.

The regulator in the link you provided, Scubapro MK I/109 (Model 101) restored, is a much newer model than the ones in 64/65. It included a copy of Kirby Morgan’s Dial-a-Breath second stage adjustment, which served an important function on surface-supplied regulators versus being virtually a status symbol on this regulator.

Sorry, I should have pointed out to scroll down to the bottom of the thread.
Look at Ovalis post:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Scubapro MK I/109 (Model 101) restored

Here are some pictures from that thread/ post. This are the only actual pictures I have seen of that regulator. Before the post from Ovalis I have only seen sketches like in the catalog.

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

mk1schematicv1.jpg

Remind me not to tell you about all the other stuff I threw out. :(

Yeah... I probably don't want to hear about it.

My wife sometimes says that I am a pack rat... Well, I still have my first double hose regulator... my avatar has two pictures with the same Royal Aqua Master. The two pictures are about 35 years apart.
There is a lot of other gear I don't have any more, but I do have some of the more important gear... I do wish I would have kept my first Healthways regulator.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit… I am just find that early Scubapro very interesting.
Those were the days when dive companies were really experimenting with new ideas.

… Yes, it is most definitely a first generation MK-1. Look at the pictures below…

So are you thinking the 1965 reference in MK 1 was off by a year or two? The photo in the 1965 catalog doesn’t look like either the first or second generation to me.

…The second stage is normally the primary mechanism that determines a regulator performance....

True, at least at higher cylinder pressures and shallower depths. Between the Navy’s 190'/75 RMV standards and the increasing use of Octos, first stage short comings were quickly exposed shortly after this period. It was relatively easy to increase flow on the second stages but the first stages required a lot more R&D.

To me the drawing (it is not really a picture) in page 4 of the 1965 catalog looks like the original Mk-I, the same that is also shown on page 3 of the 1964 catalog.

As this writing says (MK 1), the later Mk-I was first introduced in page 3 of the 1965 catalog with the name of the Mk-V.

By the 1967 catalog, the original MK-I had disappeared and it was replaced with the early Mk-V. In the same catalog it shows a Mk-V with the two port LP swivel.

The writing also mentions not being able to find a 1966 catalog. We have all the other catalogs in the down load section of VDH, but we are also missing the 1966.

Thanks again everyone. I went ahead and decided to at least disassemble the regs for inspection (haven't gotten to the SPG yet). Below are a couple of exploded pics. Summary: first stage looks great--2 o-rings, lube, flip the teflon seat, some cleaning, and it should be good to go. Second stage has more corrosion, but nothing that's a killer. Rubber parts are in surprisingly good shape with the exception of the rubber exhaust valve--it's crunchy and doesn't look like it's a replaceable part (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, I don't have my hopes up of actually being able to use this setup.
IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Thats not bad, a little soak in 50/50 white vinegar and water followed by a toothpaste scrub will make it shine.
The exhaust valve is easy to replace and a standard replacement part. Just clip off the little tab and remove it. The replacement is started into the hole and you pull it the rest of the way through with pliers or tweezers, takes all of 30 seconds. It appears it originally had 2 exhaust valves in series, no need for both of them and it appears someone did not replace the outter one at the last service. Odds are the outter valve retainer comes out but if not, just fold the new valve up and stuff it into the hole, they are very flexable. You will need to work with tweezers or needle nose pliers to work it into position.
I see no reason this reg can't go back in service.

The exhaust valve looks very replaceable to me. Get one with the right size (26mm), plug it in and you're good to go.

If you look at the cage closely you will note it is smaller than on the 108 second stage. It's closer to 22mm

See below for a comparison:

6acae755.jpg

...ok, make that ALMOST...thanks DA.

OOPS!
But then it's a living proof there's a source for that valve: try asking DA REALLY nicely. :D

Alternatively, Trident RP34 may work, they come in 23 or 22 mm, your choice. And if it's you luky day, you may find one in an old snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom