Vintage Regulator, Dacor Model R-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I have a vintage Dacor model R-4 regulator that I acquired several years ago at a garage sale. It needed to be serviced then; I never got around to it. I'm considering getting rid of it. At a very minimum, the hoses are rotten/cracked and need to be replaced. There appears to be some minor superficial corrosion on the 1st stage that should clean up ok. I've attached are a couple pics.

I would appreciate some feedback on what is something like this worth? Also, any suggestions an where would be the best place to sell it ... e-bay, online vintage SCUBA forums, etc. Thanks.

I would recommend ebay when you decide to sell it. You'll get a lot more exposure there and have a better chance getting a higher price for it.

As far as value is concerned with it needing to be overhauled and the hoses being bad that is an expense the buyer will need to consider. Good examples of this regulator (with intact hoses) have sold on ebay anywhere from $80.00 - $150.00+.

Good luck and remember its only worth what someone will pay you for it.

JES:
I would recommend ebay when you decide to sell it. You'll get a lot more exposure there and have a better chance getting a higher price for it.

As far as value is concerned with it needing to be overhauled and the hoses being bad that is an expense the buyer will need to consider. Good examples of this regulator (with intact hoses) have sold on ebay anywhere from $80.00 - $150.00+.

Good luck and remember its only worth what someone will pay you for it.

Thanks, JES. I found a vintage SCUBA site that sells new hoses for around $35-$40 http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/hoses.html. Any idea what it would cost to have this reg serviced ... any recommendations on where to have this work done ?

A rebuild will cost between $60.00 and $70.00 for the labor (plus the cost of any necessary parts).

Take a look at the following sites:

VintageDoubleHose.com Regulator Rebuild Service

or

VintageScubaSupply.com Regulator Rebuild Service

I have had both businesses rebuild double hose regulators for me and both do great work. My first regulator rebuild was performed by Dan Barringer of VintageScubaSupply.com and his service was super. I like the "Lagniappe" (~ a little something extra) from VintageDoubleHose.com because Bryan (the owner) also includes (as a part of his service) a CD full of "before and after" pictures of your actual regulator rebuild (and I've actually dove with him).

I see that you've found Vintage Scuba Supply website. You really should also check-out VintageDoubleHose.com (you can purchase hoses from there as well).VintageDoubleHose.com

I think you're making a wise choice to get your regulator rebuilt and keep it for your own enjoyment. :14:

I still own my Dacor R-4 doublehose regulator purchased back in the 70's ..... doublehose regulators do require more "TCL" and maintaince than a singlehose but they are quite an "experience" to use. I would ask around several dive shops in your area to see if anyone works on them. It would be nice to have someone look at it and give you a "ballpark" price on rebuilding it. It you deceide to sell it then list it on Ebay with a starting bid of $1.oo and a hidden reserve price of about $50 ..... make it a 7 day listing and be sure to describe fully the condition of the regulator and show several "close-up" pictures ..... stress that the regulator needs a complete overall before being used ..... good luck

Back
Top Bottom