Vintage out of the closet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
...I also understand that many people may dive a vintage double hose reg with a modern computer hooked up to it and that is GREAT and they do it because they love using that piece of gear etc but it is not vintage diving, it is just diving using a piece of vintage gear. I guess what I am saying is that using vintage gear does not mean to imply vintage diving in and of itself...

Nemrod,

I appreciate your point of view, but I would argue that there are simply just various degrees of vintage diving instead of an all or none philosophy.

If you choose to dive with an entire vintage gear setup, then in my opinion that makes you a historically correct vintage diver but no more or less of a vintage diver than someone who chooses to only dive a vintage double hose regulator.

I think that this is what makes the vintage dive community such a great group, the acceptance of all vintage divers by other vintage divers regardless of your level of "vintage compliance". :wink:

Regards,

JES

Jes,

I would be in agreement, not arguing here, as I said, I am not the expert. I think it is great to get any of the old gear out and promote the "vintage" aspect of the diving sport. If that is only a favorite old knife then so be it. Oh, and before another person jumps me--wink--wink---I now fully agree and admit I was incorrect, the SP Jet fins are vintage. I still don't like them--wink--wink--lol. No need to split hairs like the motocross club I mentioned and wrestle around in the dirt and the best thing about this vintage stuff is whether you started out in the 50s and 60s or just inherited some old gear or your a ughhhh--modern---er--type--cough, cough and bought your vintage gear from ebay one little piece at a time it is all GOOD.
Went to see After the Sunset last eveneing, decent flick. What kinda gear was that they were using? Some neat stuff in the movie but dang those scooters they had went a lot faster than the one I made out of an old trolling motor!! N

So I read this thread a few days ago and got me thinking......I sat down and watched an old Jaques Cousteau video and convinced myself that I wanted to try vintage diving. The only modern gear I have to use is my RX mask with pink lenses...=(..but none the less I am going to do this....I ahve a Steel 72 with J valve and I even have the rod to actuate the constant reserve. I started digging around my shop and found stuff barried in the bottom of parts bins....I even found an old Scuba Pro Honker....remember those...I can imagine the irratability factor of other divers diving with a guy that has a honker...lol

I have been collecting vintage dive knifes and dive them today with many comments...mostly because of the 7 inch blade and it similar appearance to a machetti blade. I have ressurected my old jet fins made by Voit. I even have an antique wetsuit that will require a few lost pounds on my part. I have a very old aqua lung conshelf type regulator with only two ports...a HP and LP.

The simplicity of this type of diving is compelling me to try it. Its funny because all of my equipment today is top of the line by many standards, Atomics, Cobra Computer, Dive Rite 2 gas computer for back up, Trans Pac2 with Rec Wings and redundant pony bottle, Steel 95s the works and here I am staring at all of this old equipment and thinking how much fun it will be be to dive so simply.

Nemrod, thank you for starting this thread...it has been fun planning this kind of dive so far.

Aloha Zen Diver
Go for it. I figure my modern stuff is for work, and the Vintage Gear is for Fun.
At least they cannot ask me to dive any intro/ Discover divers, when I show up in my vintage gear, on a day off.
Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
Aloha Zen Diver
Go for it. I figure my modern stuff is for work, and the Vintage Gear is for Fun.
At least they cannot ask me to dive any intro/ Discover divers, when I show up in my vintage gear, on a day off.
Turtleguy

I learned how to dive in Hawaii back in 85'. I had a great time diving there when i was younger. I spent 5 years there...I want to go back....My best friend here in Florida was born and raised on Oahu. It is fun to talk about our days in Hawaii.

Brian

"Nemrod, thank you for starting this thread...it has been fun planning this kind of dive so far"

I am excited that you still have your old gear and a shop with more laying around. Get that stuff out and get it going!!!

Yeah, I don't understand this scissor thing and all that, I carry a big knife! Any nudiabrachs mess with me and I gonna cut them up!! LOL. N

Then you have the "new" stuff that was/is of such a classic design that it hasn't changed much, if at all, over the years.
Duck Feet, Jet Fins, Poseidon Cyklons, and the noteworthy double hose Nemrod Snark III that they just stopped making maybe 6 years or so ago.

I started diving back in '75, which was the period where alternate air sources, AKA octopus regs, were just starting to become common.

I get a lot of fun out of rebuilding and diving with vintage gear. I see vintage diving in the same light as collecting the cars of our youth. Oh, for the good ol' days.....

Greg

"Then you have the "new" stuff that was/is of such a classic design that it hasn't changed much, if at all, over the years.
Duck Feet, Jet Fins, Poseidon Cyklons, and the noteworthy double hose Nemrod Snark III that they just stopped making maybe 6 years or so ago."

I would consider all that gear, new or not, vintage because it is of the style, character and technique, methods of that earlier pre BC/octa era. Duckfeet and at least the earlier if not all Jet fins are vintage "enough" to pass muster in my probably misguided opinion. If Duckfeet come out in neon pink with zebra stripes I would think those not vintage.--lol. N

Back
Top Bottom