Vintage out of the closet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Since coming to this board I have gotten the idea in my head that vintage diving is something I want to do. I have decided to resurrect my old gear and or purchase authentic new period gear such as new UDT fins for example. So, here I go off with my double hose or Calypso J with J valve actuating rod, no SPG, no BC, antique back plate and vintage round mask and UDT fins and authentic old dive knife with authentic weight belt with authentic Healthways weights etc and I haul it all onto a dive charter boat in say Jupiter, or Destin or where ever. What do you think the chances are that they are going to let me dive the gear in an authentic fashion without having to add non period BC and SPG etc? OK, has anyone ever considered chartering a boat for a vintage dive?
There were no BCs to my knowledge in the 60s. I also don't remember the widespread use of SPG until approx 1970. The BCs that were around at first were horse collar type with MANUAL inflation. Yep, you took your mouth from the regulator and inflated the BC! Yes, we practiced buddy breathing, doff and don, swimming with flooded masks and weighting for a neutral bouynacy etc. There also were no octopus rigs in common use. Everyone had to make three circuits of the pool switching off buddy breathing duties with a flooded mask--period or you did not pass. That is how I remember it but I was just barely a teen so my memory may not be entirely accurate. I sure don't see a SPG or BC on SeaHunt. So, I am wanting to dive vintage in a somewhat controlled environment. I do have a vintage (pre 75) BC if a BC must be used. Anyways I have found dive boats to be very narrow minded. Has anyone had success with vintage out of the closet! ? N

I have had no problems boat diving with vintage gear, but then I own the boat so that makes a difference.

A horse collar BC is a good idea, particularly if you are diving in cold water with a thick wet suit that will lose a lot of bouyancy at depth. If you are in a 3mm or shorty it's still a good idea even if you won't use it under water. I use an early 70's vintage horse collar with a manual inflator. Of course I also use a 1958-60 vintage Mistral so there is no hookah port to use to attach the inflator hose. And next season I will really cheat and use a banjo fititng and a seaview SPG.

So I guess I am a moderate when it comes to vintage diving. I feel it's ok to be vintage but see no reason to go to extremes and throw out every saftey device that has been developed since 1960.

It is best to call and ask before showing up. I have called several dive operators and some will and some won't. Dick Wilgus, the owner of Dive Toledo dive shop in Many, LA is a vintage diver and welcomes other vintage divers.

Captain

So far I have been unable to find a dive operator in the Keys that will let me dive in a basic vintage setup. If you use an adaptor on your double hose with a safe 2nd stage/octopus and a pressure gauges you are fine If you don't have BOTH of them they will not let you dive. I know this from 1st hand experience.
Horsecollar BC's seem to be fine though.

Aloha Nemrod
I too have recreated most of my old dive gear, it gives me a lot of fun, compared to the modern gear that I have to use for work as a dive guide/instructor. Yes, by all means check with the dive boat operation in advance to assure you will be able to use your vintage gear. If you make it to Honolulu/ Waikiki/ Hawaii some time, let me know. Diving Vintage gear off the charter operation I work for is not a problem.
I fail to see why most dive operators have a problem with Vintage Gear, that is well maintained, and competently used. After all many allow the use of rebreathers, and they have a lot of possible complications, as well. Vintage divers are not pushing the boundries of safety like technical divers, no Deco stops required, no obligation besides having a bit of fun.
I wish you luck in your Vintage Quest.
Turtleguy

I've found captains who know me have no problem letting me dive vintage off their boats. OTOH, I don't really like to take my vintage gear in salt water very often. For that reason, I usually dive it in the springs. Always learn or relearn any new configuration in a pool with a competent buddy before going to open water. This is especially important with a double hose. I'd recommend trying it with someone who's already comfortable with the double hose.

Turtleguy, the colors in the picture "Let's Cruise" are fantastic. One of the ladys has modern plastic fins!!!!!!!---LOL. Yes, looking at the pic, that is how it was done, swimsuit, backpack, tank, regulator, fins, mask, knife (no stupid snorkel)! Cool pic.

Thanks for the comments, please continue. It seems most have about the same feeling that I do that diving vintage of cattle boats and especially the ones in the keys are going to be problematic. Fortunately I do have a Boston Whaler but it is an awfull long haul to water.

I was in a LDS and told him I would like to order a new .5 suit. He was trying to sell me a dry suit. I told him--Florida---Keys---visit my neice in Haw. etc--what the heck is the matter with that guy. Cold water--why in the name of the heavenly one would I want to get into cold water--lol! Thanks all. N

surely acquiring vintage gear (that works properly) is not much cheaper than new gear. why vintage? are you intrigued by the grass-roots style of diving? does it give you a greater sense of human control vs. the advancement of technology? why vintage?

Vintage is more expensive than contemporary gear. If you are skilled, you won't notice much difference in the way you dive anyway. You'll be without a computer, your reg will breathe a little different.

I don't agree with this statement........A nice set of basic Vintage gear costs less than I paid for my most current modern BC......

As for the how diving is different when you are using vintage equipment......Imagine flying surrounded by an airplane......Then imagine being able to fly without the airplane....JMHO.

Walter:
Vintage is more expensive than contemporary gear. If you are skilled, you won't notice much difference in the way you dive anyway. You'll be without a computer, your reg will breathe a little different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom