Vintage Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend that has a complete set of "Old US Divers" gear, 2 hose reg, steel 72 tank with the little valve, cotton weight belt, oval "rubber" mask, fins and rubber wet suit.

It really is a hoot to see him rigged up this way.

Makes me wonder what the "good old days" were like.

ID

When I did my instructors course a couple of years back , the school where I atended had a set up.

Tryed it in the pool one night.

Scarry clearing that hose.

Yes , I would like a set up for fun but not pay the Price at Vintage Divers.

Ron

Have a mentor who is happiest in older gear, some of which he has modified himself (ie a wetsuit with an air bladder so he can eschew the BC; harness, etc) He just puts rocks in his pockets instead of using a wieght belt, & drops them when he's ready to ascend. Strangely, he is incredibly lucky in underwater treasure hunts, raffles, & contests. He wins top of the line new equipment then sells it because for him, the fun is not fresh new commercially-made toys, but the old-fashioned do-it-yourselfness. I wonder if I could have made it in this sport when lots of the stuff was home-made, experimental, & ricketty. I salute those who have!

2, 8x10 glossys of (you guessed it) Mike Nelso in his "high teck" gear. Looks really cool

I started out with US Divers double hose reg in the early 70's, a mask that was very hard to get to seal, no BC. I traded it all for a pear of Olin down hill skies back in the mid eighties. Still have the skies, And have moved on to better scuba gear.:)

:mean:
I have an old Scubapro Oval mask I did use up till last winter. My ferret decided to bite the nose area and put a stop to it, but I loved it and not one else had anything like mine. It always brought up a conversation. But I have had to move to a new mask and like it now, but I am always insearch of a skirt to repair my old mask and put it back into service.

:sharky: dvr ------ Rich

Doesn't some manufacturer still make those oval masks? I saw some fresh-looking ones in the shop about a month ago.

there is just no reg as photogenic as the double hose. Bubbles go behind the subject, but there is something more than that. I think it's the symmetry of it, and the coolness factor of the big corrugated hose, (not to mention the streamlining you get with the old backplates). Great for photo models. I wish they'd make a new one somehow, maybe even with a muffler on the exhaust to silence it a bit for fish photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom