Vintage Gear Question (Voit/Aqua-Lung)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our K Mart sold Healthways. The Montgomery Wards had USD and Voit, Sears had rebranded USD, the feed and seed down the road also had USD and Nemrod and J.C. Pennys also had Nemrod. Sooo, I don't think you "cannot like Voit" because it was sold at K Mart.

Not much on box stores anyways but K Mart used to have a great photogrpahy and camera section, Sears had a huge photography department and catalog, they sold parts for airplanes and Wards had boats and motors. I think you can let bygones be and let's concentrate upon the ruination of the evil Wall Mart.

N

Nostalgia...I miss my MR12, it was such a great reg. Wish I knew whatever came of it...did I sell it or loose to a marriage that happened way to early? I still have my Royal AquaMaster though.

Our K Mart sold Healthways. The Montgomery Wards had USD and Voit, Sears had rebranded USD, the feed and seed down the road also had USD and Nemrod and J.C. Pennys also had Nemrod. Sooo, I don't think you "cannot like Voit" because it was sold at K Mart.

AMF Voit actually played the marketing game very well. The items marked as AMF Voit were sold through retailers such as Sears and K-Mart. The gear marked as AMF Voit Swimaster or AMF Swimaster were sold through dive shops. The Swimaster line had a nicer cosmetic appearance, and the "newest" pieces of gear.

When I wanted to buy Voit marked gear I went to a local sporting goods store. If I wanted the Swimaster items I went to a dive shop around 30 minutes from my home.

Interestingly, the Voit regs from the 1970's had metal foil stickers on the second stage. This was cheaper to produce than the painted plates on the Swimaster models. The Voit foil labels have generally withstood the ravages of time better than the painted versions.

You can't blame AMF, they were merely carrying out marketing on both sides of the fence.

Greg

AMF Voit actually played the marketing game very well. The items marked as AMF Voit were sold through retailers such as Sears and K-Mart. The gear marked as AMF Voit Swimaster or AMF Swimaster were sold through dive shops. The Swimaster line had a nicer cosmetic appearance, and the "newest" pieces of gear.

When I wanted to buy Voit marked gear I went to a local sporting goods store. If I wanted the Swimaster items I went to a dive shop around 30 minutes from my home.

Interestingly, the Voit regs from the 1970's had metal foil stickers on the second stage. This was cheaper to produce than the painted plates on the Swimaster models. The Voit foil labels have generally withstood the ravages of time better than the painted versions.

You can't blame AMF, they were merely carrying out marketing on both sides of the fence.

Greg

Being a Harley rider of many years, back in the days when AMF owned Harley-Davidson the product quality wasn't very good, we used to say AMF stood for "another mechanical failure".

Along those lines an AMF snowblower was a POS. Meanwhile Gilson built many many fine machines for sale by Montgomery Ward. In an industry that once had dozens unique manufacturers we are now down to 7 of significance.

Consolidation and private branding are commonplace across the board.

I have a Sherwood cylinder that is a Catalina in disguise and a Faber masquerading as a Scubapro.

Being a Harley rider of many years, back in the days when AMF owned Harley-Davidson the product quality wasn't very good, we used to say AMF stood for "another mechanical failure".

Yes, the quality of Harley's bikes wasn't very good when AMF owned them, but in all honesty, it wasn't before either. If you take the time to read the numerous books on Harley's history you will find that AMF saved Harley from the same fate that Indian went through. Harley was so far behind the times in the late 1960s that they were actually in bankruptcy court. The fact was that they were about to close the doors for good. AMF kept the factory doors open. They also were the ones that started the engineering design of the Evolution engine.

True, the quality didn't improve while AMF had them, but consider that statement...During the 1970s American automobile quality was pretty lackluster too when compared to Japanese and German products. Unfortunately, and primarily due to the bean counters, our motor vehicles did not advance in a timely manner. That is the big reason why the Japanese cars began to sell so well during the same time period. If you sit around and rest on your laurels, the competition will pass you by. Compare the 1969 Honda CB750 to the Harley Sportster to see what I mean.

Harley did make a pretty good move when it purchased Aermachi in Italy. Harley's small bikes like the Sprint and various two-strokes sold pretty well. They were pretty well made, but still a few notches below the Japanese bikes. Their engines were robust and powerful. The 2 stroke race bikes won the 250-350cc world championship a number of times in the mid 1970s. Their dirt bikes such as the SX250 also did well in events like the Baja 500.

The HD Company is a great example of how a corporation can turn around. It wasn't until the bean counters realized that quality comes first that they cleared the hurdle. I do like Harleys, and find their design very attractive to the eye. I do believe though, that the fad is slowing down.

As a lifelong rider, it bothers me that guys (especially 40+) will go out and buy one as their first bike. The fact that MC deaths have risen dramatically can largely be attributed to that.

Greg Barlow

I rode the same 1975 Superglide for 25 years. I bought a new Electraglide in 2001. Talk about night and day. Pre AMF days were before my riding time but as you said AMF did save the company from going under. I wish I had bought some of that $9 a share stock back in 1982

Hello Greg,

I still have my first regulator from when I was 12 (1972), a Voit Viking I and it (finally) needs a new 2nd stage LP seat. Know where I might get one?

Thanks,
Boogster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom