Vintage Double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkymn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone give me more information on this vintage Double Hose reg that my father passed down to me?

Attachments

• PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 144
  • PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 127
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 119
Looks like an Italian version of the classic Spirotechnique Mistral.

I don't know the business details between Technisub (from Italy) and Spirotechnique (from France), but Technisub became part of the Spirotechnique group of companies (just like US Divers, now AquaLung).

The very interesting part of that regulator is the mouthpiece with the "dive surface valve" used to switch between the regulator and a snorkel. A snorkel would attach on that side opening. I have seen a couple of mouth pieces like that offered as after-market options.

That regulator can be easily serviced and brought back to be in a great diving condition. All the replaceable parts are being reproduced and they are offered at VintageDoubleHose.com as rebuild kits. Or you can send it to Bryan and he can re-build it for you.

I would definitely dive the regulator, but for most dives I would save the hoses and mouthpiece as a collector item. You can replace the hoses and mouthpiece for everyday diving.

That is a great regulator.

Note: In the Minnesota area there are several divers that use vintage double hose regulators on a regular basis. They are great guys and you can easily hookup with them to learn the peculiarities of diving a vintage regulator. It is easy and a lot of fun, but there are some differences and it helps to have some guidance.

That's a very nice reg you have there. I wouldn't dive it.That reg is very hard to come by. Unlike the French ones.You see one of thoses for every 500 french one or more. The paint on the tag is in nice shape. I would keep it that way. But you decide.

Also it is unlikely to fit US tank valves and would have to be modified by turning down the size of the nozzle on a lathe. Not difficult to do but it would slightly alter the regulator from original although not really noticably.

Very nice reg, I agree with Luis, restore it, put new hose on it (save the originals they are unique) and dive it.

Also it is unlikely to fit US tank valves and would have to be modified by turning down the size of the nozzle on a lathe. Not difficult to do but it would slightly alter the regulator from original although not really noticably.

There is an easier way around that problem, Bryans European banjo.... you need a banjo or J valve with the reg anyway. http://vintagedoublehose.com/index....&view=ecwid&Itemid=175#!/~/product/id=9029803

I would not modify that regulator at all to make it "fit" a USA-made valve. Try it, and see if it fits some of the valves available here. I'm thinking that the Sherwood valves, which use a slightly different sealing system, may fit it. There may be other valves which would fit it, such as the Nemrod valve I recently saw on E-Bay. There are three of these on E-bay right now, but a word of caution; they say it is a 3/4 inch valve, but this may be a metric thread. Someone else here may know more about this.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom