Vintage Diving Stories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, y'all, here's another one for ya:

In the summer of '77, Fuzz, myself and a few guys we'd met hanging around the dive shop in my hometown got together at the lake to do a little diving one weekend. We found a nice cove with depths from 20 to 70 feet and parked our boats (4) across the mouth of the cove with dive flags raised. Fuzz and I were the only ones using DH regs. For our first dive, Fuzz and I dropped to 70 feet, looked around for about 20 minutes and returned to my 15' Bertolli runabout. When we broke the surface, we found a game warden's boat waiting for us. The game warden (a new hire and full of vinegar) began to chastise us for blocking off the cove to other boaters. We tried to explain that, because of the cove's size, even one flag would have kept other boats out but he wouldn't listen. He waited until all the others had returned to their boats and proceeded to write out citations to everyone. The tickets cost each of us $50.00; a total of $550.

The following weekend, we all met again at the marina and were debating on where we could dive without getting ticketed again when the GW from the week before came up to us. We all expected to get a lecture on where we were permitted to dive, if anywhere, on the lake.

Instead, the GW asked us, rather sheepishly, if we would do him a favor. His boat had sunk that morning and was resting in 130 feet of water. It took awhile, but he finally admitted to forgetting to replace the two drain plugs that morning before launching the boat and the 21', open bow aluminum StarCraft had literally sunk from beneath him while he was writing a fisherman a ticket.

After we had all stopped laughing, DT, the owner of the aforementioned dive shop, told the red-faced GW that we would go down and bring his boat back up for $75 each plus air fills. He said it was too much and walked away. He was back a few minutes later and we struck the deal.

It took two days to put together what was needed and, diving in relays, to get the boat prepped with a rope harness and 15 gallon steel barrels so we could raise her to the surface. It was during our first dive, my first ever to that depth, that I got narcked. Big time. I remember following Fuzz down to find the boat and tie a marker to it. It was cold down there and we weren't wearing wetsuits. My teeth were chattering on the rubber mouthpiece and my breathing was becoming erratic. We lucked out and found the boat right away. I was starting to feel light headed and giddy as I watched Fuzz attach the marker and let it go. That was the last I remember. The next thing I knew we were at 90 feet and ascending. Fuzz was holding my mouthpiece in my mouth and hauling me up by my harness strap.

My head cleared and I signaled to him that I could continue on my own. When we finally got back on DT's boat Fuzz informed me, in front of everybody, that I had gone bonkers and had tried to buddy breathe with a passing fish. You can imagine how the other guys reacted to this.

Well, after that, I was relegated to tending the deco bottles and running back to the marina in my runabout to fill tanks from the twelve-cylinder cascade bank on DT's Dodge stakebed.

The GW's boat was eventually raised, we all got paid and the now former game warden was headed for the unemployment office.

The icing on the cake would have been if the Judge had dismissed your case. I assume you fought the tickets?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that part. The tickets were for "impeding navigation" and the county magistrate later voided them and issued a refund order because we were back in a cove and not in the way of lake traffic at all.

Last edited:
:banana:Way to go!:thumb:

In lower michigan we had a lake cottage, in 76' I was there in the winter, out playing hockey. At this time Ice was froze thick in most areas, I shoveld my rink and flooded it at knight and had a great rink. The trick was to flood it quickly, So I got big plastic barrels from the pepsi plant, they were the only place you could find them back then, and were filled with caffine. A neighbor on the lake worked there. Any ways you fillled in the corners, and dumped at same time to get an even thick coat.

Shootin the puck from one end to the other in the net, is what I was doin one morning. there are Ice shanty's all over and vehicles, out Ice fishing and you would park at the shanty. I noticed alot of trucks and then a wrecker showed up. I hopped on my sled and shot across the lake to see what was up, the shanty was floating in broken Ice, in the middle there is not much snow as the wind blows it off, you can see the ice was thin. Every one had less a view than I, for I had my skates on and keeped circling it, I have had tons of experience of thin Ice getting the puck next to the waters edge as the lake was freezing.

I ended up skating around the shanty with a rope and then hooked to wrecker and pulled it out, It was destroyed. There was bubbles still coming up through the broken Ice hole, as people stopped by, a few said they think there was a car next to the shanty. I had an aqualung at the cottage, for putting in and taking out the dock every year. I went to the cottage, put a wet suit on, Grabbed aqualung and another tank, I hooked the car, this is my first Ice dive, I was eleven years old. The cable cut through the Ice, The wrecker driver said he needed to float to the surface. I told him about barrels, a fella went and picked them up with his truck. I went back to the cottage and jumped in the shower and warmed up grabbed some ski rope at the ski club. when I arrived the police and fire dept were there. They had other intentions and really did not have a better plan than the wrecker driver, so we harness the barrels with ski rope and put on snatch blocks on trucks. I went to put wet suit on and hot water shower, got back and the officials did not want me to go down there, I was just a kid they said. They said to just leave the car down there, and asked who was the owner the car, I was the only one that answered and said, probably the one in the driver seat, the officer walked up and said how many more in car, I think two more, hard to see down there. So they let me go put ropes under the bumpers, My reserve came about on last bumper, But I did get it, I tugged the rope, they pulled It tight. Now I knew I had to get out as my air was low, but it was warmer in the water than out of the water. I hopped on sled and went to the cottage as I was in the water for almost an hour, yet froze while talking to authorities before I went in. After warmed up I went back out and they broke through alot of ice, trying to get the car on top of Ice. It was dark out and it was a mess all around the hole, it was a 1/2 inch thick, when we went back at 8:00 at night. one thing about the aqua lung that I learned, but not until later on in Ice diving is that it wont freeze, freeflow in cold weather.

Apparently the guys in the car were there all night with car running, and passed out from drinking, since no chainsaw blocks or chain saw, they set up in thinner area to break through with axe. Even though only twenty five feet deep and the sun rays through the ice, it was dark, dive lights were ok back then, but still.

I have had many other salvage dives of this sort, that all revolved in accidents or crashes, but I was much older and learned how to rigg things, so I did not have waste time asking what to do.
When My parents got home that night they did not believe me, They thought I went and retreive a hockey puck, when I showed them My wet gear, and said we need to fill the tanks. Going bar hopping on sleds was there thing for fun.

Happy Diving

Here's another one. We were doing a reef survey about 20 miles off Tampa Bay in December decades back. We were staying on an EPA support ship, a big one, think it was a former oversized gunboat or something in the Vietnam War. The goal was to survey quadrants on the bottom, a coral patch reef, for type and percent coverage. I recall it had something to do with a dredging project related to the Port of Tampa. The corals looked pretty good surprising me at the time. We were two man teams in Zodiacs with no comlink, usually no big deal but this day there was fog. Another fog story? Fog, especially the real thick variety isn't that common in the SE coast but is more common in the Tampa area. There weren't any waves or wind to speak of fortunately. Anyway, here we were 20 miles offshore heading out in a small inflatable and at about a ships length out, the mothership vanishes? Not very comforting particularly considering how routinely I used to have outboard failures in those years. Twenty miles offshore, no power, no mothership in sight and no communications lost in a fog? Hope the consultant we were working for came up with more contingency management for future projects. Can't recall another time had to so a survey in the fog, heavy seas, cold water, after dark, curious sharks, stupid deco but not fog. Good news is, no outboard failure or getting lost either. The viz.UW was pretty good about 40 ft., the water was only about 18 ft. and a lot warmer than I would have thought possible for that time of year. I had made a snowman in Tampa a few years prior at USF and was firmly convinced at just how nippy it can get over there. It was an interesting project with no real problems. Regarding attire, recall I had on a 72 cft with USD Conshelf Reg, a Aquatech horse collar (think I still have it too) and a 4 or 5 mm farmer john. Hope the reef is still doing ok out there.

Last edited:
Great story, thanks for posting it, nice writeup! Reminds me of Rich Pyle's work with mixed gas from University of Hawaii although at a later date. We looked to him among others for ideas on deep mixed gas scuba in the early 90's.

www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/duffy/arb/494/494l.pdf

Although a little off of my vintage story, his is very informative in the creation of diving, and his vintage diving.

Happy Diving

Who hasn't been hit by portuguese man-o-war before, at least folks in coastal areas where they occur? Super common, still like with any venom, the bigger the dose, the more interesting the reaction. I took a boat load of German divers out to a reef in 1974 and got the biggest dose of my life before and since, resulting in an nasty response. It's an interesting story, more at:

Dive Stories From Back In The Day - Page 2 - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

030402-25.jpg

A little one, when the float gets around 6 to 8 inches or more, they can pass along a lot of venom if you wrap enough tentacles around you. Not a good idea.

01_28_B_29sm.jpg

Permit on the hoof
From: http://antiguaisland.blogspot.com/2007_03_07_archive.html

Here's another overseas adventure in the islands a long while back involving some easily caught lobster, no gloves or bag but one bathing suit. Pretty trivial stuff, unless you're the one being chased by the permit?!

It ends with the moral: "Five bugs (lobsters) in the hand are good, but four and safely covered privates are better if permit'ed!?"

Continued at:
Dive Stories From Back In The Day - Page 2 - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom