Vintage Diving Stories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There may be a more appropriate section for this, looked around but didn't find it. It is interesting to use the old stuff again today, it has created quite a following. How about great experiences with the old stuff when it was still new? Dive stories have been around for a long time, most are lost. Why not tell a few here? You know, the unusual experiences that stick out in your mind all these years later. Got a ton of them like many on here I imagine. A minor one resurfaced in my recollection yesterday, no idea why.

It is just a story about a free dive on my favorite reef when I was a kid in 1973, in a very rare dense fog bank, with a 600 ft. long grounded cruise ship within a quarter mile away, without my knowledge. That is until the fog lifted, rhetorically and literally! Got to dive on it for a while. More about the story at:

Dive Stories From Back In The Day - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Date: Late June, 1970
Equipment: US Divers DA Aqua-Master regulator, USD steel 72 with 1/2" J valve, Voit oval mask, Voit Viking fins, USD knife so big it was almost a short sword, USD weight belt with 5 lbs. of lead attached.

It was on a Saturday afternoon in late June, 1970. The telephone rang and it was my mentor, Harold, on the other end. The Sheriff's Office had just called him with a request for assistance. A young girl had fallen into the river and had not been seen since. She had obviously drowned and dragging the river for her body had been unsuccessful. Would Harold and his buddies conduct a search for the body?

At that time, our local law enforcement agencies did not have divers on the payroll and depended on civilian volunteers for underwater work. This would change a few years later but, at the time of this story, volunteer divers filled the gap.

Within an hour of receiving Harold's call, I was parking my 1960 Chevy station wagon amongst several emergency vehicles parked next to the river. Harold, John, Boomer and Carl were already there and waiting for me. Harold had his compressor in the back of his Ford pickup and it was thumping away, filling a tank. Mine was the last one to be filled and, while we waited, Harold outlined the way we were to conduct the search.

Harold would take the west side of the river, about thirty feet from the bank. Boomer would be next out from Harold; I would take the middle of the river and John would be next out from me. Carl would be on the east side of the river. The plan was for us to zigzag slowly back and forth as we worked our way downstream.

We waded into the water and swam, on the surface, to our start positions. At Harold's signal, we jack-knifed and swam to the bottom. The current was slow and the visibility was about eight feet. The depth averaged fifteen feet at the middle. I glided along about three feet from the sandy bottom, swiveling my head back and forth. At the end of my third or fourth zig, I came face to face with Boomer. He shook his head and turned away.

A few minutes later, I met John and we exchanged head shakes to indicate that we had not found anything. As time passed, I began to worry that we would not find the body before we ran out of air. Did I miss her? Had I passed over her without seeing her? How far had we come? How far had the current carried her?

My air was running low and I figured I had about five minutes left when I encountered an old sunken log half buried in the bottom. As I swam closer and the log became more visible, I saw a patch of blue checked gingham caught on a branch of the log. A little closer and I saw her. Her blue eyes were open and staring straight at me. Her long, auburn hair flowed gently in the sluggish current. My breath came faster and my heart pounded. I had to fight the urge to bolt to the surface. I felt as if I wanted to throw up and scream at the same time. Not because of the sight of a dead body. I had seen those before. It was because I knew the girl. She had lived in my neighborhood, on the next street over.

My J valve kicked in and I reached back to pull the rod. From my jeans pocket, I pulled a fishing bobber and a roll of monofilament line. I tied the bobber to the end of the line and let it go. When the line stopped paying out, I tied it off to the log and headed for the surface. I broke the surface half screaming and half crying. I waved to the people on the shore that I had found her. Harold and the others had already left the water and were on the bank. Boomer grabbed a spare tank and jumped into the water. He passed me as I headed for shore. He patted my shoulder as he went by, then dived for the bottom. Harold and Carl helped me out of the water and out of my harness. A few moments later Boomer reappeared, towing the girl's body. I spent the rest of the day in a sort of haze. I managed to get home and went straight to my room to change clothes and flop onto my bed. A couple of days later, I learned that the girl's drowning had not been an accident. It was suicide.

The girl was thirteen years old an one of ten children. Her father was an alcoholic and physically abused his wife and children. A strict disciplinarian, he would beat his wife and children for the slightest of "offenses." The girl had been keeping company with one of the neighborhood boys her age and they had been, shall we say, intimate. She had learned only a few days before her death that she was pregnant. This terrified her. Or, rather, the thought of what her father would do to her, when he found out, terrified her.

That Saturday, she had gone to babysit for a woman who lived beside the river. When the job was finished, she left without waiting for her pay and went straight down to the river. Witnesses said that she hesitated for a few seconds, then jumped in. She didn't even try to swim. She just went down and never came back up. An autopsy confirmed that she had been ten weeks pregnant.

When her family was informed of her death, her mother broke down and had a nervous breakdown. Her father, on the other hand, merely shrugged and commented that it would be just one less mouth to feed. In the end, the mother was committed to an institution where she died a couple of years later. The rest of the kids were placed in foster care and the father left the area and has not been heard from since.

I was sixteen years old at the time.

Date: Late June, 1970
Equipment: US Divers DA Aqua-Master regulator, USD steel 72 with 1/2" J valve, Voit oval mask, Voit Viking fins, USD knife so big it was almost a short sword, USD weight belt with 5 lbs. of lead attached.

It was on a Saturday afternoon in late June, 1970. The telephone rang and it was my mentor, Harold, on the other end. The Sheriff's Office had just called him with a request for assistance. A young girl had fallen into the river and had not been seen since. She had obviously drowned and dragging the river for her body had been unsuccessful. Would Harold and his buddies conduct a search for the body?

At that time, our local law enforcement agencies did not have divers on the payroll and depended on civilian volunteers for underwater work. This would change a few years later but, at the time of this story, volunteer divers filled the gap.

Within an hour of receiving Harold's call, I was parking my 1960 Chevy station wagon amongst several emergency vehicles parked next to the river. Harold, John, Boomer and Carl were already there and waiting for me. Harold had his compressor in the back of his Ford pickup and it was thumping away, filling a tank. Mine was the last one to be filled and, while we waited, Harold outlined the way we were to conduct the search.

Harold would take the west side of the river, about thirty feet from the bank. Boomer would be next out from Harold; I would take the middle of the river and John would be next out from me. Carl would be on the east side of the river. The plan was for us to zigzag slowly back and forth as we worked our way downstream.

We waded into the water and swam, on the surface, to our start positions. At Harold's signal, we jack-knifed and swam to the bottom. The current was slow and the visibility was about eight feet. The depth averaged fifteen feet at the middle. I glided along about three feet from the sandy bottom, swiveling my head back and forth. At the end of my third or fourth zig, I came face to face with Boomer. He shook his head and turned away.

A few minutes later, I met John and we exchanged head shakes to indicate that we had not found anything. As time passed, I began to worry that we would not find the body before we ran out of air. Did I miss her? Had I passed over her without seeing her? How far had we come? How far had the current carried her?

My air was running low and I figured I had about five minutes left when I encountered an old sunken log half buried in the bottom. As I swam closer and the log became more visible, I saw a patch of blue checked gingham caught on a branch of the log. A little closer and I saw her. Her blue eyes were open and staring straight at me. Her long, auburn hair flowed gently in the sluggish current. My breath came faster and my heart pounded. I had to fight the urge to bolt to the surface. I felt as if I wanted to throw up and scream at the same time. Not because of the sight of a dead body. I had seen those before. It was because I knew the girl. She had lived in my neighborhood, on the next street over.

My J valve kicked in and I reached back to pull the rod. From my jeans pocket, I pulled a fishing bobber and a roll of monofilament line. I tied the bobber to the end of the line and let it go. When the line stopped paying out, I tied it off to the log and headed for the surface. I broke the surface half screaming and half crying. I waved to the people on the shore that I had found her. Harold and the others had already left the water and were on the bank. Boomer grabbed a spare tank and jumped into the water. He passed me as I headed for shore. He patted my shoulder as he went by, then dived for the bottom. Harold and Carl helped me out of the water and out of my harness. A few moments later Boomer reappeared, towing the girl's body. I spent the rest of the day in a sort of haze. I managed to get home and went straight to my room to change clothes and flop onto my bed. A couple of days later, I learned that the girl's drowning had not been an accident. It was suicide.

The girl was thirteen years old an one of ten children. Her father was an alcoholic and physically abused his wife and children. A strict disciplinarian, he would beat his wife and children for the slightest of "offenses." The girl had been keeping company with one of the neighborhood boys her age and they had been, shall we say, intimate. She had learned only a few days before her death that she was pregnant. This terrified her. Or, rather, the thought of what her father would do to her, when he found out, terrified her.

That Saturday, she had gone to babysit for a woman who lived beside the river. When the job was finished, she left without waiting for her pay and went straight down to the river. Witnesses said that she hesitated for a few seconds, then jumped in. She didn't even try to swim. She just went down and never came back up. An autopsy confirmed that she had been ten weeks pregnant.

When her family was informed of her death, her mother broke down and had a nervous breakdown. Her father, on the other hand, merely shrugged and commented that it would be just one less mouth to feed. In the end, the mother was committed to an institution where she died a couple of years later. The rest of the kids were placed in foster care and the father left the area and has not been heard from since.

I was sixteen years old at the time.

Whoa! that's pretty heavy duty.

paladin, that was a vintage storie I did not expect to read, My memories are kicked in from long ago, yet I try to let the those ones go. They haunt me to this day, as I always think I will see a diver at some point again while diving. Destruction of the family is not new to me either. For I am all I have in this world, again in my life. The underwater world is my home and always will be, so I go home everyday I can.

Happy Diving

During the time period in which the events of the story took place, SCUBA was not as popular a sport in my area as it is now. I was one of less than two dozen divers who lived around here and most of us did volunteer underwater work for local law enforcement and fire departments; searching for evidence thrown into the rivers, helping to recover sunken boats and vehicles and other such work. Of course, the recovery of drowning victims was part of all that. I live at the confluence of two rivers and during the summer both rivers are heavily used for swimming, boating, water skiing, etc. Not a single summer went by without at least two or three drownings. Usually, the Sheriff's Department recovered the victims by dragging the area where the victim was last seen. It was when this method was unsuccessful that our telephones would ring. We never got paid for our efforts. We did it because it needed to be done.

The above story was not the first time my friends and I had recovered a drowning victim and it wasn't the last, but it was the only recovery where I personally knew the victim. The whole thing was so tragic and sad that it affected me in a profound way. Like anyone else who has lived to be my age, I have many memories that I prefer not to dwell on, but this is one that haunts me in spite of my best efforts to forget and it has been weighing on my thoughts as of late. When I read RickI's request for vintage diving stories, this one came immediately to mind as if demanding to be told. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I just needed to get it off my chest; a sort of therapy, if you will.

VooDooGasMan, I apologize if I bummed you out, man. I promise that, if I tell another story, it will be of a lighter note.

The problem is that the assumption that vintage EQUIPMENT divers are vintage themselves is in error. Most of the fleet are not vintage era, some more of us are kind of transitional, only a few were actually there in 1959 on the reef in double hose gear. For vintage diving stories, I am afraid I cannot really help you out as most of mine are post 1973, sorry.

N

The way I understand it, the OP was asking for diving stories from the time when "vintage" equipment was new. Although production of the Aqua-Lung double hose regs ceased in 1973, they could still be purchased NOS in many dive shops right up to about 1980. Perhaps as late as 1985 a diver could show up with a DH reg and no one would even bat an eye. With the OP's permission, for the purpose of this thread, maybe we could set the cutoff date at, say, 1980. As I remember it, that was about midway through the transitional period between "vintage" and "modern" and the old methods of SCUBA were still being employed by many divers (no octopus, no BC, etc.), myself included.

The motion picture "The Deep" was released in 1977 and while the characters used single hose regs, they were still diving in the old way. "Vintage equipment diving" does not require a DH reg, as single hose regs were widely used throughout the 1960s. USD produced several and, no doubt, many of them were still being dived by their original owners up into the 1980s, right alongside the old double hoses.

Whaddya say, RickI, 1980 as the cutoff date for stories?

Yea, I understand having to do self therapy, its probably been in a few of my post lately also. My occurances were under the Ice mainly, a couple in the clinton river stuck on logs. When you go look for the vehicle or snowmobile, you know what your in for, It is a mindset of none other.

Paladin, no worries, I like the story very much, as it was long ago, in the vintage dive times. for I am thinkin of my best story, filling tanks and doing yard work, I thought of a few today, I will have to remember all for the good ones.

Happy Diving

That was an intense experience to say the least. My hat is off to you for helping in such a demanding but necessary task. Did this happen in Florida? I knew a Boomer down here who used do such work and at that age perhaps a little younger in Northern Florida in the 1970's. We were the youngest guys in our YMCA ITC in 1976 at FAU. Sure we can go with 1980 for starters and see how it goes. It cuts out my vintage trimix SCUBA stuff from before 1992 but not a lot of good stories come to mind out of it anyway. The '70's and before are wide open and fair game Nemrod. Would be interested to hear some of the things that went on in your area at the time. No end of interesting things happened in those times. Was reminded of some good ones down in Key West this weekend from the 1970's. Mel Fisher, the State Division of Archives, and conflicts over treasure/cultural resources salvage in front of and behind the scenes. Attended a salvor-conservationists conference there in 1976, had Mel, Art Mckee, Duncan Matheson, Sonny Cockerell and a lot more. Interesting times.

The way I understand it, the OP was asking for diving stories from the time when "vintage" equipment was new. Although production of the Aqua-Lung double hose regs ceased in 1973, they could still be purchased NOS in many dive shops right up to about 1980. Perhaps as late as 1985 a diver could show up with a DH reg and no one would even bat an eye. With the OP's permission, for the purpose of this thread, maybe we could set the cutoff date at, say, 1980. As I remember it, that was about midway through the transitional period between "vintage" and "modern" and the old methods of SCUBA were still being employed by many divers (no octopus, no BC, etc.), myself included.

The motion picture "The Deep" was released in 1977 and while the characters used single hose regs, they were still diving in the old way. "Vintage equipment diving" does not require a DH reg, as single hose regs were widely used throughout the 1960s. USD produced several and, no doubt, many of them were still being dived by their original owners up into the 1980s, right alongside the old double hoses.

Whaddya say, RickI, 1980 as the cutoff date for stories?

RickI,
It happened here in West Virginia. The Boomer that I mentioned was in his mid forties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom