Vintage dive - July 8th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Carlton
Here is what I have on the fins. Aquatic Pinna Nautilus fins. Manufacturer unknown.
I will dig them out and see if there are any other markings.
Aloha Turtleguy

I have a 1962 Swimaster catalogue listing four versions of Duck Feet fins:

1. Giant UDT Duck Feet
2. Full Foot Duck Feet; Full Foot Giant model Duck Feet
3. Regulation Duck Feet
4. Custom Duck Feet, available in black, blue or yellow

Swimaster sold "Flipper Slippers" to prevent blisters and other problems "caused by excessive use" of these fins.

David

justleesa:
Well we both had the day off and my buddy said he wanted to do a vintage dive. So that's what we did.

On the deep dive to the Sea Tiger I wore my regular gear and just took pictures of my buddy, but on the 2nd dive I got to do a vintage dive.

This was my 2nd ever vintage dive. I was using a Voit Trieste regulator (1969) with a dacor pressure gauge (60’s) and a dacor depth gauge (60’s), twin 38’s with a voit backpack (1961), a Voit mask (70’s – brand new out of the box), an old Body Glove shorty (70’s) and a pair of yellow Aquatic Pinna Nautilus fins (60’s). The regulator had just been serviced.

At first I thought the fins were not going to do the trick but I had no problem keeping up with my buddy with his Whitestag, full power fins. No cramping, no tired legs....they were just perfect.
Still have to practice a bit on keeping my head a bit more up, but otherwise everything went great. I enjoyed the freedom of not wearing a BCD and am looking forward to the next day off :D Anybody else wanna go?

PS: I usually wear a perscription mask - can't believe how good I saw with the mask....maybe time for new glasses...lol
In the picsit looks like you have twin 38s. If that assmption is correct, I am wondering what sort of harness they have. I just got a set on ebay that was rigged with some bands off something else that had been cut down and riveted back together. As they are about the cleanest tanks inside I have and so cute, I hate not to use them, but I aint gonna dive them with this*** rig they have now. John

John,

TurtleGuy & Justleesa can provide the best answer to this question for you.

In the meantime, check out the post that Lisa started called "Another Vintage Dive" http://www.scubaboard.com/t75994-another-vintage-dive.html.

In this post I have included some pictures of Lisa using the Voit Trieste and wearing the twin 38's. In the last picture you get a pretty good view of the twin 38's and the backpack that she is wearing.

Hope that helps.

John Fox:
In the picsit looks like you have twin 38s. If that assmption is correct, I am wondering what sort of harness they have. I just got a set on ebay that was rigged with some bands off something else that had been cut down and riveted back together. As they are about the cleanest tanks inside I have and so cute, I hate not to use them, but I aint gonna dive them with this*** rig they have now. John

Aloha John
She is wearing a Voit twin tank pack and harness. It has a body contured pack with straps, and buckle. the pack is made of what looks like fiberglass.
Turtleguy

Aloha John,
I also wanted to mention that you should keep checking ebay (new category:vintage scuba). I'm sure a harness w/backpack will show up sooner or later. :wink:

aloha,
Lisa

The point of diving with Vintage Gear?

a) It way 'cooler' than modern regs
b) Its the way it 'used to be'
c) Cousteau used them for years on all kinds of dives - shallow or deep
d) Its 'historical'
e) They are 'collectors items' now

Looking at the pictures it appears the regulator is too high for best breathing.
I would suggest flippling around the center section of the manifold to place the regulator below the manifold rather than above it and lengthing the shoulder straps to get it lower or raise the pack higher on the tanks. It should be at about the level of your shoulder blades. If it hits the back of your head in any position it is too high.

Captain

The Captain had it right ..the manifold should be flipped over so the regulator sits lower on the back..nice observation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom