Vintage dive - July 8th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
Lisa,

Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Purpose? The purpose is fun, the same as it is for most of the diving we do. I am, however, happy that I have newer technology when I dive. Those old regulators breath hard.

Yes we did Dennis...You talking about fun dives must have broken the seal and Roger and I finally got to have one:D, so thanks to you!!!

About breathing hard, the one I had used on my first vintage dive was like that. But this one was really easy. Only time that it was a bit harder was when I went too far head down, but that's a known fact....all in all it went very well and I am looking forward to the next vintage dive :wink:

ScoobieDooo:
Leesa,
Beautiful pics...you capture the very essence of vintage diving fun...

The purpose of diving vintage gear is because its fun, is like taking a trip back in time to an era of the way it 'used' to be done.

Double hosers are very neat and cool, they exhaust the bubbles behind your head - great for photography, underwater metal detecting, etc. They are basically very simple devices and fun to work on.

I just had a 1968 Aqua Lung double hoser re-chrome plated, rebuilt, etc. and now I have a working collectors piece thats over 30 yrs old and still works! Its looks brand new again!

IS that neat or what?
That is very neat...

Danny D:
The pics look great. I wish I had the opportunity to dive in the water that you have ! Oh well if the New England water doesn't kill you it makes you stronger I guess hahahah.

Thanks Danny and that's what they say!

So just pack your gear and come on over! The boat we go on has no problem letting you dive with vintage gear.

justleesa:
Well we both had the day off and my buddy said he wanted to do a vintage dive. So that's what we did.

On the deep dive to the Sea Tiger I wore my regular gear and just took pictures of my buddy, but on the 2nd dive I got to do a vintage dive.

This was my 2nd ever vintage dive. I was using a Voit Trieste regulator (1969) with a dacor pressure gauge (60’s) and a dacor depth gauge (60’s), twin 38’s with a voit backpack (1961), a Voit mask (70’s – brand new out of the box), an old Body Glove shorty (70’s) and a pair of yellow Aquatic Pinna Nautilus fins (60’s). The regulator had just been serviced.

At first I thought the fins were not going to do the trick but I had no problem keeping up with my buddy with his Whitestag, full power fins. No cramping, no tired legs....they were just perfect.
Still have to practice a bit on keeping my head a bit more up, but otherwise everything went great. I enjoyed the freedom of not wearing a BCD and am looking forward to the next day off :D Anybody else wanna go?

PS: I usually wear a perscription mask - can't believe how good I saw with the mask....maybe time for new glasses...lol

Wow, looks and sounds fantastic. What a buzz, to experinece what it was like b4 technology kicked in big time.. Was it had to maintain some kind of bouyency control?

Regards

Mike

Fitzy,
As long as you properly weight yourself not having a BC isn't any big issue. In an emergeny if you drop your weights you can become bouyant enough to do an emergency ascent - and float on the surface.

I use my vintage horsecollar if I expect very rough water or to be doing a lot of physical exertion in the water.

For shallow dives I don't even bother with one...

justleesa:
Because they didn't have BCD's back then :D I do have weights, but all the up and down I have to do I just do by in & exhaling. Next time you come, you can do a vintage dive with me :wink:
Sounds great!! :wink:

Lisa,

I'm am happy to be of assistance.

Duck feet! I'd love to try vintage gear. We have an old Conshelf from the 60's...found it in a garage sale! Beast uses it all the tile and it's perfect.

Leesa,

That sounds very cool, I can't actually imagine diving with no BC, I just enjoy netural buyoancy so much.

I did get my cert. in 76' and had friends that were diving in the 60's, so I do vaugely remember some of the early gear and practices. I was never a big horse collar fan. But, I guess you could call some of it fun. I had one dive buddy, when I was living in egypt, that talked aobut having to wieght himself to balance his empty tank at the end of a dive, that way he would find his way back to the surface; seemed a little challanging.

A collection of vintage gear sounds very very cool, and diving it would be a walk through an innovative past. I am not sure who these days I would put some of that equipment on, but I reckon it would be a real hoot playing with it once in a while, enjoy.

Winton

Back
Top Bottom