Vintage dive gear demo video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very Nice! :D However she was wearing the DH way up to high...

A lot of smaller people (women especially) had to wear tanks high for trim. Women tend to wear the weightbelts much higher than men which further complicates trim.

That being said, I have never heard of removing an oval mask to equalize in my life!???

I thought to equalize a pocketless oval mask you either yawned or shoved the mask up to block your nostrils and then blew.
Hmm, learn something every day.

The backpack was too big for her and she had it tightened too much which made it ride high. If she wanted to dive like the Sea Hunt era she should have just had straps on the tank with no pack and placed it lower.

Did you read her reply to me when I noted the tank was too high?

According to Tillman's "Underwater Education" (1962): "When using a double hose regulator the height of the tank and regulator must be above the critical free flow location when you are vertical and looking up." While I realize you can fine tune the regulator's performance by the height, if the tank was any lower the J valve function couldn't have been demonstrated without an extender. Ultimately regulators of this era are never going to perform as well as a Scubapro MK25/S600 anyhow.

The plastic pack with no crotch strap is a pore choice for a double hose. The tank is positioned properly when she is standing out of the water but rides up in the water. A loose waist strap and no crotch strap is the problem.

The plastic pack with no crotch strap is a pore choice for a double hose. The tank is positioned properly when she is standing out of the water but rides up in the water. A loose waist strap and no crotch strap is the problem.

I think that depends on individual body geometry. I never needed a crotch strap with the old Voit Snug Pack, blow-molded packs of the 1980s, or Eric/ZKY’s Freedom Plate (pulling the belly band to tighten the shoulder straps). I can see how that setup does not position the tank properly or securely on some people, especially small females.

I installed a deadman/rescue ring in my Freedom Plate and tested it without a crotch strap. There was no way I could fall out while playing dead and I could still breath. I know from testing that is not the case with everyone. I suspect that a [-]loose[/-] tight waist strap on this petite woman would also cause the pack to be too high. Vintage gear ergonomics wasn't too friendly to the ladies.

What she needed is a smaller bottle and equalizing lessons.

Last edited:
The problem I see with the plastic packs is the shoulder straps slip and tighten pulling the tank higher on the back and at the same time the waist strap loosens.
I would use either a bolt through the webbing and the pack or weight keepers to lock the length of the shoulder straps, then I could tighten the waist strap enough to hold the tank down.
If you don't do this it ends up like in the video with the regulator hitting you in the head and the tank floating up.

The problem I see with the plastic packs is the shoulder straps slip and tighten pulling the tank higher on the back and at the same time the waist strap loosens.
I would use either a bolt through the webbing and the pack or weight keepers to lock the length of the shoulder straps, then I could tighten the waist strap enough to hold the tank down.
If you don't do this it ends up like in the video with the regulator hitting you in the head and the tank floating up.

That's why I use a crotch strap on my old plastic Healthways Cam-Pak. I like being able to adjust the fit using the belly band, so the addition of a crotch strap locks it in position.

Maybe I should email her and tell her to go onto VDH and get one of those strap harnesses. I don't think I saw any Sea Hunt episodes where a back pack of any knid was used.
Then she can redo her video and also learn how to clear a pocketless mask the right way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom