Vinegar to clean regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you USE SIMPLE GREEN make sure that you rinse the parts extrememly well. In the aircraft industry simple green has been found to cause corrosion. I'm sure it would be tough on a reg, but I just thought I would let you guys know of the corrosion risk. Great stuff, just have to be careful.

What's the deal with all these bizzare rinse agents (acid, toilet cleaner, degreasers)?

What are you guys getting into that won't come off with fresh water?

Terry

iflyprops:
If you USE SIMPLE GREEN make sure that you rinse the parts extrememly well. In the aircraft industry simple green has been found to cause corrosion. I'm sure it would be tough on a reg, but I just thought I would let you guys know of the corrosion risk. Great stuff, just have to be careful.

Not so much "off" but "out". I'd never rinse a reg with anything but fresh water after a dive. But during an annual service, you want to thoroughly remove any salt or mineral deposits inside the ambient chamber as well as any carbon than may have built up in the reg and fresh water is sometimes just not enough to cut it.

Web Monkey:
What's the deal with all these bizzare rinse agents (acid, toilet cleaner, degreasers)?

What are you guys getting into that won't come off with fresh water?

Terry

They are talking about an annual service, or O2 cleaning their regs. Simple green or blue gold are two common cleaning agents to remove hydrocarbon deposits, and grease from a regulator to make it compatible with high O2 concentrations. Alot of us are using these regs for deco gas.

The comment about simple green causing corrosion: I dont use it full strength. Mix it with hot water, and then rinse with hot water as well. Comes out with no residue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom