Viking neck seal and volume issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JWMays

Reaction score
I have just tried the Viking Neck Ring system with a latex hood, and I had an issue with my AGA mask leaking into the hood and causing a bubble at the aback of my neck. Has any else dealt with this issue? I have started to slowly trim the hood away from my face to get a better seal, and a suggestion about tightening the lowest straps on the AGA the first and the most did help the "bubble head" syndrome, but I am still getting a bubble at the neck.

Our team dives the neck ring seals with the hoods and AGA's and i am not aware of anyone having the problem you described.. You may want to ask a mod to move this to the PSD section where you will get more Viking/ AGA divers. I have a few ideas but need more info from you, feel free to im or pm me.

I have a TLS-350 now but I had a Viking Xtreme before that (and had better luck, especially with neck seals out of the Viking), and I cut the latex hood off. I hated the darn thing. I stuck with a neoprene hood and took it ice diving. Unless you get cold very easily I'd suggest cutting it off, but that is just my 2 cents. If you can't do it I understand, but I got to witness an AGA class and none of the people seemed to have issues with neoprene hoods.

I have had that issue happen with my FFM and also my normal mask. I use it to equalize the hood when I need to.

Once I trimmed my hood to fit I don't have this happen and I must force it by exhaling hard, the tightness of the mask affects how much air gets into the hood. The tighter it is the less air gets in, of course that causes other problems as well.

Many divers of latex hoods have vents on top, I don't and really don't have issues now.

To describe why you want to put air in the hood for those that don't dive latex hoods, you'll get your ears hurt if you don't. If you get a real good seal and no air gets in the hood as you descend the outside pressure forces the hood tighter, pushing into the ear and you get a feeling like an icepick shoved in your ear, so you force air into the hood to relieve squeeze and it's fixed. The foam beanie you get lets that work well.

Speaking of which, the beanie and it's position relative to the mask will cause air to go in the hood, don't have it under the mask or you will have air leaks. The mask must set flush on the latex which sets against skin, not the beanie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom