Viking Bayonet rings & Fusion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a pic. You can see the hole right at the front edge of where the rings were....

IMG_7742.jpg

Phil

I sent my suit to Superior Diving Repair, but I'd be sure to ask Mark to use heavy-duty wrist seals if you are going to use the Viking rings. The lighter, more flexible seals seal better when you are using wet gloves, but wear through with the Viking rings pretty fast.

I have taken the rings on and off my Fusion a number of times without holes. I do pull the neoprene cover down over the junction of the seal and ring, to reduce wear.

Hi Phil, Thanks for the picture. Could you have pinched the seal when you removed the ring?

When swapping rings back and forth trying to decide on size and ring "tab" location, I often felt that I put a lot of pressure on the seal with my thumb nail - even though I tried to avoid it.

Lynne, I pull the cuff down over/onto the ring as well. Seems like a very good fit, and the ring has a nice flat surface right there - as if they were made for it :)

How about seal saver and/or talc use in general? Search of SB reveals differing opinions (go figure :wink:) Some say silicone makes it impossible to get glue to stick when it comes time for seal replacement. Others say that the Seal Saver is water based and is ok to use. Talc in general is said to be fine and a good idea between dive days.

Henrik

I used to use Seal Saver on my wrist seals, on my other suit. I didn't have any problem getting replacement seals to stick, but then, I didn't use so much seal saver that I got it all over the suit, either.

I don't use anything with the Fusion, because I can just slip my wrists through the seals -- they are probably a little too big, since, when I dive without dry gloves, I have to put something over the outside of the seal to keep from ending up rather wet on my arms.

Thanks Lynne,

I was thinking of wash with mild soap, Seal Saver and talc for longevity of the seals. My wrist seals are a bit tight and I guess talc would ease getting into them.

Henrik

I use a UV conditioner and in the past silicon and have changed my seals numerous times with no issues. Different brand of suit, but the seals are pretty much same. The conditioner definitely makes the seals last longer.

No matter what the suit the Viking rings are installed on, you need to be gentle with the latex seals. I have never had a problem with my rings damaging the regular thickness seals, but I have torn them myself. DOH!

Hi Phil, Thanks for the picture. Could you have pinched the seal when you removed the ring?

Henrik

That is when I figured it probably happened. My thought was that it was probably the second one that I took off and I was getting a little careless because they are not the easiest things to get off and my thumbs were starting to hurt. I have swapped them back a forth a few times without issue before. I just got unlucky this time....

I do not blame the rings. I blame the user...

Phil

That is when I figured it probably happened. My thought was that it was probably the second one that I took off and I was getting a little careless because they are not the easiest things to get off and my thumbs were starting to hurt. I have swapped them back a forth a few times without issue before. I just got unlucky this time....

I do not blame the rings. I blame the user...

Phil

I'd suggest you follow your own advice and try the yellow rings which will be less tight on the latex. IMO, you should be able to install and de-install the rings easier than what you described.

The so-called "spanner" rings need only be tight enough to prevent the docking ring and glove ring from being pulled off. You can easily test the fit.

My SI TECH "Quick Clamp" ring system has the same spanner ring system as the bayonet system they made for Viking. Each day that I dive, I re-install and later de-install the docking rings on my DUI latex seals. I use the blue spanner rings and they are just snug enough to prevent detachment.

For comparison, when I begin to press the docking ring onto the latex seal, the latex will mostly roll around the spanner ring, at times sliding as it reaches its tightest point near the stop ridge.

During the de-installation, as I push on the latex, it again essentially un-rolls around the spanner ring until it exits the docking ring.

By the way, I have standard DUI seals, but perhaps your seals are a little thicker.

The other possibility is that my seals are staying a little cleaner than yours since I remove the rings after each dive day, then rinse the seals. Since the rings are so easy to remove and re-install, why not? :D

Dave C

Dave; so it was you I was thinking of :) - I knew I'd seen someone here on SB selling unscented talc.

Dave probably has it right; just enough friction on the rings to prevent sudden, accidental "pop-off". I've been thinking tighter is more secure and therefore must be better - but I may have been thinking in the wrong direction.

Thanks guys,

Henrik

Just checked the Whites online owners manual; Seal maintenance, clean, use Seal Saver - just a few drops, and talc.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom