Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shame I missed the video so I can't comment on it. I can read though and I am reasonably good at smelling trolls. PeeWee, were you joking?

VoodooGas:
Actually business is up and I gotta thank everyone for the free publicity. Thanks a Bunch! Just wait til ya get the next cool video.
Well if it is I'd be surprised if it stayed that way! Up till now 1779 people have viewed this thread - and the trend of what a large majority are saying doesn't really swing your way! As has already been pointed out - why did you pull the video if it was so good for business? Or don't you like free advertising! Maybe you are simply of the opinion that the customer is never right. Well - each to his own philosophy I suppose. (They certainly didn't teach this in the business school I attended.)

pasley:
Uh huh, and you pulled the video because...?

I'm still waiting for an answer Rusty. For that matter I am still waiting for you to return my phone call. Then again, no need to call, just answer the question.

As I stated before, if you want to touch an animal then take your gloves off and pet it on the teeth.

Matthew J D'Avella
Kona Hawaii

DJPeeWee:
You guys are pathetic.

Anyone who has done any type of underwater photography knows that when it comes to your own work, it often takes the separation of time to gain any sense of objectivity. The fact that Rusty had this awesome footage of a beautiful creature out weighed his any objectivity he may have had;

You're kidding right?

The objectivity that you speak of should have been there BEFORE the camera comes on the dive.

YOU are responsible for your own actions.

archman:
Worse, the questionable aspects were placed online for others to view, again under the assumption that this behavior is acceptable. It's not.
Quite frankly, if a diver is going to interact with marine organisms in this manner, he should have some credentials in field biology or animal handling.
Acceptable to whom? You don't determine what's acceptable or not, at least not for anyone but yourself...

KimLeece:
Well if it is I'd be surprised if it stayed that way! Up till now 1779 people have viewed this thread - and the trend of what a large majority are saying doesn't really swing your way! As has already been pointed out - why did you pull the video if it was so good for business? Or don't you like free advertising! Maybe you are simply of the opinion that the customer is never right. Well - each to his own philosophy I suppose. (They certainly didn't teach this in the business school I attended.)
I disagree. Only 78 people have voted. There have been a vocal few both for an against. Frankly, I doubt that this board will have much impact on his business at all (either postive or negative). New divers (and people thinking of diving) will generally find the interaction with marine animals exciting. Just look at the Cousteau films...

GJ62, Jacques Cousteau made those films in the 50-80s. Analogies like may as well be compared what racism is to aparteid, since aparteid has only been gone for 14 yrs.
Look at newer TV series like the Blue Planet. The awesome power of nature recorded on film and tape without the intrusions of the Calypso crew (1 of whom incidentally happens to have worked for Cousteau and then the Blue Planet series). Yes they set up tripods and lights for coral shots and dropped a whale carcass into the deep to see what happens. The whale was already dead so they just accelerated the sinking.
No touch thinking is not merely just for the environment but also for our fellow divers. Yes criniods have no nervous system and won't feel pain as we know it. So it won't be a problem to tear it apart to take a pic of the shrimp which hides inside it. Then what about the next diver who doesn't take photos but misses an opportunity to see the shrimp or shark and whatever else the previous diver mangled, destroyed and scared off just to get his shot etc.

scubashooter:
GJ62, Jacques Cousteau made those films in the 50-80s. Analogies like may as well be compared what racism is to aparteid, since aparteid has only been gone for 14 yrs.
Did you think this through before making this comparison?

The point was that there are many folks that enjoy that interaction and many see no problem with it when compared to other activities. As I said before, when I commercial dive for urchins, I can take 1,000+ in a single day. When I show garibaldis eating an urchin, I kill only several - which the garibaldis (or otters) quickly eat. If you see that as killing for fun, ok, I kill for fun. I don't see it that way. I didn't kill the urchin to watch it die, nor do I smash them indescriminately.

Sure, I touch nurse sharks and pet morays. I've done it for 20+ years without significant injury in rec diving, and even have morays that respond and are easier to coax out now.

Most importantly, I have NEVER had a student (all the way through DM) tell me that I should not do what I am doing.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine with me...

To continue, racism was not considered wrong many years ago. You do recall slavery. It was justified by some as bringing Christianity to the heathen. Humans have an incredible ability to justify their own actions.

The issue is: Is it wrong?

Some simply view the action and are emotionally disgusted. Some feel it is wrong based on Cruelty to Animals. In my view I am more concerned with degradation of the environment for future generations.

In your view:
1. Is this cruel? [Playing with the Shark]
2. Does this degrade the environment [risks the sharks health]

Regards,

Tom

TomR1:
To continue, racism was not considered wrong many years ago. You do recall slavery. It was justified by some as bringing Christianity to the heathen. Humans have an incredible ability to justify their own actions.

The issue is: Is it wrong?

Some simply view the action and are emotionally disgusted. Some feel it is wrong based on Cruelty to Animals. In my view I am more concerned with degradation of the environment for future generations.

In your view:
1. Is this cruel? [Playing with the Shark]
2. Does this degrade the environment [risks the sharks health]

Regards,

Tom
To compare human slavery to playing with a shark is simply bizarre. Is it wrong? is a question a 5-year old would ask...

To answer your questions -

1) No, it's not cruel to play with the shark
2) No it does not degrade the environment in a significant way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom