Views on ice diving?

What best describes your view of ice diving?

• Do it all the time - I love it!

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Did it once - never again

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Never done it, but would like to do it

Votes: 115 52.3%
  • Not something that really grabs my interest

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Those guys are &$*^#ing nuts

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fresh water fish = boring. Fresh water fish under ice = cold and boring.

Helping pretty girls out of their drysuits and into Irish Coffees post ice-dive = far from boring.

i'm in....haven't done it...yet...but soon

It is somewhat boring after a few times. We used to play hockey upside down under the ice to liven things up.

Although I have not done ice diving yet, but I am considering doing the ice specialty this winter.

Jmani - my LDS in Reno is able to offer the ice course, provided there is enough ice on the local reservoir. I can let you know when they are holding a course if you wish.

Greetings Rhone and I will be Ice diving this year pending good ice that is. I have not missed a week end in December for diving and can not wait to get under the ice.
My local area will be mostly all frozen by Feb. so if you want to dive you will ice dive eventually. Personally I love the lake diving and can not see why it should not be awesome. Proper training and a good can light as well as line tenders are always nice.
I did like the hot chocolate idea and would like to add brownies or some sort of cake.
It mise well be a party atmosphere that way it sparks interest in local diving.
I will not lie the caverns and cave of Florida are calling but as for which will win depends on my wives desires for spring break. Ah a lass one must put the needs of others ahead of personal dive goals on occasion.
I can not stay out of the water for that long anyway, bring on the ice!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I like ice diving but it's all about the weater. If you get a good wather,usually in March you can sit on top of the ice with just a t-shirt on.
I remember one time I arrived from Colombia to Toronto at 4 am and I had to tech ice diving class at 10 am following morning :)

Since I live in WI , my dive gear includes a chainsaw with a 24" bar. I dont mind ice diving but wont go out of my way to do it. A while back I built a portable warming house (read ; ice shack) when there is enough ice I pull it out with the ATV. Its big enough to have the hole in the floor and room for the line tenders so they stay warm. Froid , you live where ? LMAO

It is somewhat boring after a few times. We used to play hockey upside down under the ice to liven things up.

I remember meeting some mad Canadians divers (is there any other kind?) in the Dominican Republic, and they used to regale me with stories of their college days, ice diving. The university used to dump old bikes in the lake during the summer, so during their ice dives they would ride the aforesaid bikes upside down on the underside of the ice. In wetsuits.

Really great bunch of guys, but completely mad.

I remember meeting some mad Canadians divers (is there any other kind?) in the Dominican Republic, and they used to regale me with stories of their college days, ice diving. The university used to dump old bikes in the lake during the summer, so during their ice dives they would ride the aforesaid bikes upside down on the underside of the ice. In wetsuits.

Really great bunch of guys, but completely mad.

Things I wished I'd thought of sounds like some great photo opportunities! I've posted this pic before on SB but here's our solution to cold weather for the surface support. My wife was inside the tent with a catalyst heater and our saftey ropes tied around her waist. That was back in 1978.

Attachments

• ice dive 78 A.jpg
    ice dive 78 A.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 77
OK I'll come Jan 11. Can you put me and half a dozen loud drunken Americans up for the week?

I'll tell you about some great spots, even come with ya if i've got the time :)

Hmm, I might even learn you Americans a thing or two about drinking aswell :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom