Vidoegraphy underwater (Canon) and by air (GoPro) trip report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajscuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a quadcopter for my GoPro. With a trip to Palau and Chuuk approaching, I spent every spare moment practicing with my new toy and thinking of what my shots might be and how I could incorporate them with my underwater videography. I wanted to create a shot that looked like it went from underwater to the air. All the aerial footage was done with a GoPro3+ and underwater was a Canon XA10 in a Light & Motion housing.

Just getting the quad to a foreign country was interesting. Would the airlines allow it's big batteries? Where should I carry them, in carry-on or checked baggage? Legally they must be in carry-on. All went off without a hitch, but I have to admit, I was more worried about my little quad than my scuba gear.

The weather didn't cooperate. It rained and was too windy to fly most of the time. However, I had a couple small windows, one at Jellyfish Lake (one of my main objectives).

While I need to perfect the idea, I'm glad I got something to work with. Check it out on Youtube
Palau by Drone & Underwater - YouTube

Very sweet video! In regards to your question, I haven't had any problems with getting my camera batteries through air port security. The only real concern is if you have Lithium batteries (like for a DPV). Large lithium batteries won't be allowed and have to go through haz-mat.

I don't know what kind of batteries you have, but mine are LiPo lithium batteries. I did extensive research before taking them overseas not wanting to loose my $150/ea batteries in airport security or airline regulations. The newest regs state not more than 300W total power and have to be hand carried. I guess they want them in carry-on and not in the hold if they were to explode. Nobody with a fire extinguisher down there! Anyway, nobody even asked about them. Whew.

Wow, awesome video! Reminds me of my trip to Palau in 2012, so amazing! Stayed at the same hotel, too.

Really nice work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom