Video: Sunday Breakwater Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was raining pretty fiercely on Sunday, to the point where a section of 101 was flooded by about 1ft of water. Luckily, things were a bit calmer by the time we got to Monterey, and after calling a dive at MacAbee, we decided on Breakwater.

One of my favorite BW dives is near the end of the wall, where the shallow rubble pile provides a haven for kelp, and bigger fish, including lings and schools of perch. Typically, we get bombed by a lot of sea lions around here, but apparently they were pooped out from chasing the scooter crowd the day before! We were repeatedly visited by a cormorant who ignored us while pecking along the bottom. He thought so little of us that he gave Steve a bump on one trip up to the surface.

We really weren't expecting much because of the rain and wave action on driving into town, but we were really treated to a calm, relaxing dive with a 15-20ft viz at the wall.

[youtubehq]kNvQWj12DzI[/youtubehq]

Great video. I always enjoy seeing the bunnies at the end.
Can I ask what SMB you guys shot up near the end? How tall and what was the lift capacity of it?

Great diving with you guys.

Cool video of the dive too.

Sorry I crowded you out trying to get a picture of the giant solo salp.

Erik

Great video. I always enjoy seeing the bunnies at the end.
Can I ask what SMB you guys shot up near the end? How tall and what was the lift capacity of it?

Thanks! It's a 1m Halcyon SMB, lift is something like 6lb.

Great diving with you guys.

Cool video of the dive too.

Sorry I crowded you out trying to get a picture of the giant solo salp.

Erik

Great diving with you too Erik! No crowding at all, I was using you for cover in case that thing attacked (as salp are wont to do).

Looks like we should have stayed thru Sunday. Our dusk to dark dive Saturday was really nice.

Erik, what kind of camera/housing is that?

I have not ever been to the end of the wall. Might have to scooter out there at some point and investigate it.

Haha "vandalism". Our Fundies class had nothing to do with it, we swear...

Awesome Video! I really think that the people who under appreciate the Breakwater are the ones who hitting the same spot everytime. There's a lot to see and the wall is really a multi level dive with different critters at each level.

Oh and I think the score is:

Team Kitty: 1
Team Bunny: 0

Another great video! Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful video . . . my favorite scene is the one with the diver looking out into the blue rockfish. I loved it, because I love doing exactly that when I am down there.

What was the soundtrack, Kenn? I recognize it, and like it, but can't bring to mind precisely what piece it was. It was perfectly for a long, leisurely dive.

There are few stranger underwater experiences than being strafed at depth by a fishing bird. It's such intense cognitive dissonance!

Back
Top Bottom