video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a misprint. He was going for records in that cave, and then found the body and was going to retrieve it. It's a spooky story. You can find the whole incident on www.cdnn.info.

mania:
The last minutes of Dave Shaw in the Boesmansgat cave
Here is the full story:
http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2372385

I would like to know your opinion whether such video should or should not be broadcasted - at least within the divers community?

I personally think it shouldn't.
Mania

I think as a training aid that the average recreational diver wouldn't get much out of that video. There are things happening there that a lot of people can't even begin to understand.

R..

Look up Shek Exley, pioneer cave diver. He was breaking his own record, down in Mexican sinkhole, when he died, in '94. Between him and his partner, Jim Bowden, I believe they made just over 900 ft.
It was a miscalculation, I think, in gas consumption at that depth, that killed him.

I read about it and saw it on TV. In my opinion, he was pushing the limit diving that deep. I just don't think we were made to dive that deep. I understand the family wanted to recover thier boy's body but that depth is too dangerous. And it didn't just involve him it involved two other divers. It was pushing the limits if you ask me.

mania:
The last minutes of Dave Shaw in the Boesmansgat cave
Here is the full story:
http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2372385

I would like to know your opinion whether such video should or should not be broadcasted - at least within the divers community?

I personally think it shouldn't.
Mania

Saw the video and see no need to air it on TV. Wasnt alot to learn from it except its dangerous at 900 ft. I was linked to the video thru Underwatertimes.com forum. Whether or not this is appropriate to veiw is I think a personal choice. I dont think Shaw would have taped it if he didnt expect people to watch it.

mnj1233:
I dont think Shaw would have taped it if he didnt expect people to watch it.

He wanted people to watch how hairy-chested and heroic he was being. He wasn't planning to die.

But I do agree with you that there is no need to air it and there is nothign for the average diver to learn....

R..

Diver0001:
He wanted people to watch how hairy-chested and heroic he was being. He wasn't planning to die.

But I do agree with you that there is no need to air it and there is nothign for the average diver to learn....

R..

Diver0001......My response may sound insensative however I truly believe in all living how they choose to live and Shaw nor his wife make no appologies for the risks taken. As I stated he expected the tape to be veiwed successful or not and I watched it. Learned nothing...make my own errs...and do not put him on a pedestal or condemn him. I dive to depth to see something in my opinion worth seeing, "900ft. for more of the same cave and a body?????" Well lets just say I dont get it.
P.S. If Im lost at 900ft. leave me there I came for a reason!!!!!!!

Dont see the problem with releasing it. Have seen it and its... wel "strong" but noe very usefull.

But for god sake cant you just all read the ****ing story instead of just make quess of what happend? Its all there!
I did and its the best read in the divercomunity I ever read. Seeing the video just made me more sad. You dont learn **** from it becuse Don explains everything in the (very good) story.

He did try to recover him on his first dive when he found him(not planed).
He was stuck and he tought "This is be-on stupid, to much workload on this dept. Just leave it, come back". And he did, but things didnt go after plan and it lead to his death. How and why? Just read it, you wont be disepointet.
(poor spelling I know)

yosteffen:
Dont see the problem with releasing it. Have seen it and its... wel "strong" but noe very usefull.

blah, blah, blah.........

death. How and why? Just read it, you wont be disepointet.
(poor spelling I know)

Welcome to forum, thank you for resurrecting an old thread for your first post.........now go to the introduction section and introduce yourself.

PS. We don’t know what the “****” mean in this form………

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom