Video or Photo system need help/opinions on deciding!

Camera type?

• DSLR

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Camcorder

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • DSLR w/HD video

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunner52

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, so i'm looking for everyones thoughts and opinions on some photo and video options. I've been diving awhile now and want to get serious with underwater photography/videography I want to get a decent professional grade setup. So my first issue is weather or not to go video or photo? Ive always been a bit more into video and have lots of experience filming and doing video editing but have also recently bought a dslr and done some photography and enjoy that aswell and i like that its much easier to share your images online but I feel video really shows others how neat and crazy our underwater world is beacuse theres no easy way to put it into words. I want too get really high quality detailed images lots of macro type stuff and most of my diving is in the pacific northwest so most of it is very low light and limited viz which is probably going to be the biggest issue.

so what do you guys think!
photo or video? pros/cons your thoughts/preferences
what about dslr's that also shoot hd video vs a professional hd camcorder? is the quality comparable?
Some good cameras/ gear for low light and high detail?
one thing I really want to try and capture is the bioluminescence at night and i think im going to need a really sensitive camera for that any ideas?

I don't have experience underwater, but I do have land experience.

I shoot stills primarily with the occasional video. The quality of the pro dslr's for video is awesome. They even use them in movies sometimes to catch action sequences in tight spaces where they cant fit a larger camera. Downside to dslr video is that the sensor will overheat if used too long. I am not sure what the current range is, but my dslr is about 20mins of continuous shooting. For underwater this might be just fine because you only film what you need and don't leave it on all the time.

If you do want to have it on longer than that per clip then you probably need to look at a dedicated video camera.

Nikon and Canon both make the top level pro cameras. I have been with canon for a long time now so I know their line better. The canon 5d Mark III is the top right now in their line. Nikon has an equally comparable model. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I hear that the canon is just slightly better at video, with the nikon being just slightly better at still but the differences are negligable.

The low light capabilities of the canon are extremely good.

As far as video cameras go. Can't say anything here. I don't have experience with them.

I originally thought I wanted to shoot more video, but I found editing video tedious and too time consuming. I also prefer to try and capture the still moment. I agree with you the images are easier to share and easier to frame and look at. I have gone to shooting primarily still and will use a go pro or something for video for quick no hassle capture.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

Press release about the cameras used in the Avengers. Canon U.S.A. : About Canon

I think a dedicated video camera will serve you better than using a DSLR for video. The larger housing makes it much easier to hold the camera still. Any camera movement is magnified on a video monitor. Mike Meagher, who shoots mostly in the PNW has some excellent videos to check out and get some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfeeldiver/videos?flow=grid&view=0

I stopped taking my camera everywhere with me because I realized I was viewing my life through and LCD screen and not with my own eyes. I think you see a lot more without the screen in front of you. I like the idea of a gopro because you can set it and forget it and enjoy your dive. If something amazing happens you'll have the footage.

thanks for the input so far and im going to check out some of those links! I currently dive a gopro. 3 of them actually and also have the 3d setup for them and its killer for the price but just not what im looking for in the low light dark waters. it gets too grainy and has a hard time focusing on small objects like shrimp, small crabs and fish but it did really well on my dives in hawaii but it just wont cut it for my local waters. my end goal is really clean crisp photos or video and the gopro hd doesn't quite cut it im kind of a perfectionist at times so i can be a bit picky i'm a machinist by trade so ive become kind of OCD about having things perfect! lol

I would go with straight photo I find it hard to do good video without it distracting me from enjoying the dive.

DSLRs will also have trouble focussing in low light unless you have a focus light. The cameras need to see the contrast in order to focus and without light there isn't much contrast.

Not if you focus manually!

I used to shoot video back when it was on tape, spent lots of time editing, something I don't currently have a lot to spare these days.

Moved back to stills Mid-90s shooting slide now on digital with dSLRs and play around with a GoPro on occasions which is fun but still takes time editing even with a Mac.

Personally I like to print stuff out and hang it on the walls of my house or give presents of nice shots to friends and occasionally have stuff published, which is kinda difficult with video.

If you are interested in showing friends and family what the UW world is like, then video is the best way I think. If you want to make "art" that can hang on your wall shoot photos. I think that in the long run cameras will converge but for video today I would get a dedicated video camera since in the long run we are all dead (or so I have heard).
Bill

Back
Top Bottom