Video on the web

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, I am trying to upload a video clip from my Canon 570IS. The site I'm using says my limit is 5 minutes or 100MB.

The file I want to upload is 145,500 kbs - what do I need to do to make it smaller and are there any "standard" software bits I can use to do it? I'd rather not muck about with it too much - I want simple!

OK, I am trying to upload a video clip from my Canon 570IS. The site I'm using says my limit is 5 minutes or 100MB.

The file I want to upload is 145,500 kbs - what do I need to do to make it smaller and are there any "standard" software bits I can use to do it? I'd rather not muck about with it too much - I want simple!

Alcina,

If you use a PC you might want to try out MS MovieMaker.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

One of our graphic artists at work said it is easy to use, does all the basics, and is FREE. I'm sure if you Google for "free movie editing software" you can find other options also.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money the same person recommends the "AVS Video Editor" package. In fact this is what she uses at home for her personal stuff.

Video Editor: perfect for home video editing. Edit video easily!

Good luck with your search. I'd be interested in hearing what you decide on because I'm looking for something myself. I'll probably start with MS MovieMaker just because its free and I'm not looking for anything fancy.

Rickg

Hmm, looks like you need Vista...I have XP.

I have some big programs like Premiere, but that seems like overkill...
Read it again:

SP2 for Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional

It's the basic, simple to use program you're looking for. Just import your file, do any editing you want and save it to a format/size that falls within the site limits. You can even add music/transitions if wanted.

Your file is probably an .avi, that's what my buddy's A620 saves. It's a standard Microsoft format.

You should easily be able to get it down to 50Mbytes or so.

For my HD stuff for the web, I export:

428x240
Quicktime with H.264 codec
"best" quality
and "restrict bandwidth" to 400 or 500 kbps per second (this + the resolution is the key to small file sizes)

H.264 looks pretty good at small file sizes.

Hmm, looks like you need Vista...I have XP.

I have some big programs like Premiere, but that seems like overkill...

AVS Video Editor - OS : Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista*

Microsoft MovieMaker - OS : SP2 for Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Looks like XP will work with both. I too have XP SP2 which is why I was looking at these two.

Rickg

Alcina,

Chances are if you are using XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and have Auto Updates enabled you probably already have MS MovieMaker 2.1...... on your computer.

I just discovered that to be the case with me. Found it sitting "forlorn" in my All Programs menu having never been used. For some background you can check at:

Windows Movie Maker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If not I think you can get it from here:

Windows Movie Maker (Windows XP) - Reviews and free Windows Movie Maker (Windows XP) downloads at Download.com

Rickg

Stupid Microsoft...I didn't read further down the page about how it's now bundled with SP2. Sorry for the confusion...

To check if you have it already installed, click Start, Run, then type moviemk.exe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom