Video of U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know of a source of some decent U-869 video? I just read shadow divers and I'm all hyped up about it now haha.

Anyone know of a source of some decent U-869 video? I just read shadow divers and I'm all hyped up about it now haha.

I haven't perused the site, but PBS's Hitler's Lost Sub had decent footage of the U Who.

NOVA Online | Hitler's Lost Sub

Very interesting sub wreck. While I can't share video that I took, I can tell you something about it. The Flash animation on the PBS site makes it look gin clear and clean. It's as dark as midnight down there. Penetrating is not something for the faint of heart. Lot's os things to snag on.

X

Do you mind if I ask why you can't share your video?

Do you mind if I ask why you can't share your video?

Sharing any video here would probably reveal my identity.

The sub is a nice dive*. Not really a difficult dive until you decide to penetrate. Having a rebreather would make all the difference in the world. Since it's such a narrow space, the bubbles overhead dislodge a lot of debris and make the interior just a nightmare. Since she's relatively intact, navigation around the sub is easy, though pitch black most of the time. I took a scooter on the U who and there is nothing quite as goofy as going around the thing several times; it did save me the work of kicking against a slight current though.

There were artifacts of all kinds when I dove it last. I would suspect that has changed over the years as its been visited quite a bit. Treasure seekers were always looking to take away parts of the sub. Life preservers, valve heads, etc.

I took video.

X

* when the ocean isn't snotty

Back
Top Bottom