video from FL middle grounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you anchor dive and try to spearfish in a place like that with those conditions?

we were on a 70 foot ship with twin 1271 detroits, meaning fuel consumption. And we made multiple dives around the same area because it was that good and everyone wanted to dive it again.. Not everyone was spearfishing either.

and yes its open for anyone. We're currently working on getting our reef permits to take paid customers to "spearfish" but as far as just diving. yes we can do that currently
and im not sure when the next one is being booked for. i'm currently in Dallas texas for a few months.

i just posted out of enjoyment of film editing and to show people some other diving similar to the flower gardens. These reefs would stretch for miles, and some would be as much as 30-40 foot of relief from the sand.

Terribly destructive to anchor a large vessel over all that live coral.

we anchored in the sand. the ledges were actually in front of the boat. Im really unsure how youre jumping to these conclusions

we were on a 70 foot ship with twin 1271 detroits, meaning fuel consumption. And we made multiple dives around the same area because it was that good and everyone wanted to dive it again.. Not everyone was spearfishing either.

and yes its open for anyone. We're currently working on getting our reef permits to take paid customers to "spearfish" but as far as just diving. yes we can do that currently
and im not sure when the next one is being booked for. i'm currently in Dallas texas for a few months.

i just posted out of enjoyment of film editing and to show people some other diving similar to the flower gardens. These reefs would stretch for miles, and some would be as much as 30-40 foot of relief from the sand.

I would much prefer not to dive those conditions from an anchored boat in order to save the operator some fuel costs. Very tough to always anchor in the sand and put the boat over the best part of the reef, impossible really due to variable wind and currents.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 09:00 PM ----------

we anchored in the sand. the ledges were actually in front of the boat. Im really unsure how youre jumping to these conclusions

I wasn't jumping too far.... I see on this video you posted a large anchor and chain is anchored into the reef. Looks like it could be the Middle Grounds. time = 29 seconds....If it wasn't the Middle Grounds, where were you anchored?

[video=youtube_share;gfRPyfPavHg]http://youtu.be/gfRPyfPavHg[/video]

Last edited:
Nice catch DD

anchor .jpg

That second video wasn't in the middle grounds. It was from a trip I took with some friends in south florida. Not my boat. As for varying currents and sea conditions. I understand how all this works. I'm a 100 ton boat captain. And we marked up the reef and marked up where it dropped off and anchored in the deeper area which was the sand. And as you can see the sea conditions were very lite that day. And little to no current. If you didn't like the video please stay out of the thread.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 12:56 PM ----------

I'd much rather answer questions pertaining to the video or what I can do as far as film editing. Thanks! Stick to the topic sir

Back
Top Bottom