video from FL middle grounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

considering panama city doesnt have much coral like that, yes it was in the keys. And it stated it was a spearfishing team from the shop. Thats all. I removed it because people kept bashing ME for a video that I didn't post on these forums. Why keep it up?
and thanks for the helpful hints. it was from a go-pro so i figured the shakyness and lighting would be an issue from the start. Im learning film editing and just enjoy making movies.

Thanks again guys for the positive AND negative feedback. its all constructive criticism really. :)

and to Dumpster diver... we had no paying customers on the boat that day meaning the operater was already shelling out a ton of money for us to go. and you can see the diver headed down with no anchor in site. Im telling you we anchored in the sand OFF of the reef.

You are not getting my point. I would not want to anchor dive there, particularly spearfish there from an anchored boat (regardless of the location of the anchor). Diving like that may reduce your costs, but it limits the divers to small areas, precludes effective hunting and makes the divers more vulnerable to problems with sharks.. if they have to swim long distances back to an anchor line. Diving from a live boat (with a competent captain) is far safer (and more enjoyable) in my opinion- when the conditions are ideal- as shown in the video.

I don't think you will find many (any) serious divers doing dives like that in that area.

I agree with you and i do get your point. i love live boating while spearfishing as well. we do it all the time on our private boats in panama city. But we spent all day in that same area and not everyone was spearfishing, probably only two or three people. we spent three days offshore. on the third day we came in to dive the Empire Mica.
the fact is that the engines on the boat we took are alot bigger than most youre probably used to. Not to mention we have a 60kw Generator constantly running. So not only was it a Cost factor of the fuel. We wanted to make sure it didnt get low enough to worry about. 100+ miles each way.
twin 1271 detroits arn't the best fuel consumption engines but they are reliable.
I do however agree with you about live boating. We do it quite often for spearing tournaments and things like that.

im a professional diver, commercial and recreational. And i did it :)

Dumpster Diver I am shocked you're calling someone out when you upload this piece of... crap to put it nicely

[video=youtube;Bap2PxetarQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bap2PxetarQ[/video]

Man lets talk about destroying a reef. Taking every big fish you could find, laying on the coral and shouting at your son through a regulator, continuing a dive after an equipment failure that could be needed to bail out you or your son. Kicking the reef and poking an eel. Good lord someones a hypocrite. Sorry to call you out on this but some things just piss me off. Why don't you work on preserving your own reef first DD

GC

Man lets talk about destroying a reef. Taking every big fish you could find, laying on the coral and shouting at your son through a regulator, continuing a dive after an equipment failure that could be needed to bail out you or your son. Kicking the reef and poking an eel. Good lord someones a hypocrite. Sorry to call you out on this but some things just piss me off. Why don't you work on preserving your own reef first DD

GC

Shooting a snapper, a few trigger fish and kicking at a moray that was trying to eat his fish.....and I didn't see any reef kicking other than at the eel.
I wish I had the pics of my friend's hand after a moray tried to get his fish....but grabbed his thumb instead. I would have shot the one coming after DD's fish.

That's a bit different than dropping the anchor from a large boat onto live coral formations, which is what DD mentioned. But his main point was making it hard on oneself by poor planning when trying to shoot fish. Anchoring and not being able to get to your divers is hard....er......

Dumpster Diver I am shocked you're calling someone out when you upload this piece of... crap to put it nicely

[video=youtube;Bap2PxetarQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bap2PxetarQ[/video]

GC

What are you talking about... taking every big fish? All the fish taken in that video were small... I never accused the guy of anchoring in coral in the middle grounds. I said doing so is terribly destructive and that anchoring to save money for a charter boat operator was not something I would do, under those conditions.

And you got a problem with me yelling at my son? LOL And poking an eel gently, not even hard enough to actually deter him from pursuing me for hundreds of yards... that is somehow equivalent to bashing live coral with an anchor and chain (that takes decades to grow). LOL!

Also, my son has his OWN redundancy (via a pony bottle) ... I did not materially affect his options, should a scuba failure occur with his equipment. Your comments and understanding of the situation seems lacking, based on your critical comments..

there was no poor planning involved. we had a crew on the boat watching bubbles while everyone was in the water and switched out once they came up.. And everyone was basically buddied up even though everyone on that trip was an instructor or dive master. Anchoring in the sand on the side of the reef worked out perfectly..

And trust me it didn't hinder our spearfishing.

Last edited:
DD, I have to admit there is a lot of reef bashing and grinding of gear onto the reef. When people post videos, it is all going to be there for all to see

Seriously, at what times in the video, do you see issues? I know my son had the edge of the fin on the bottom for a few moments, when handling a fish, but i don't recall seeing anything else that should be of concern?

considering panama city doesnt have much coral like that, yes it was in the keys. And it stated it was a spearfishing team from the shop. Thats all. I removed it because people kept bashing ME for a video that I didn't post on these forums. Why keep it up?
and thanks for the helpful hints. it was from a go-pro so i figured the shakyness and lighting would be an issue from the start. Im learning film editing and just enjoy making movies.

Thanks again guys for the positive AND negative feedback. its all constructive criticism really. :)

and to Dumpster diver... we had no paying customers on the boat that day meaning the operater was already shelling out a ton of money for us to go. and you can see the diver headed down with no anchor in site. Im telling you we anchored in the sand OFF of the reef.

It's task loading enough to spearfish, let alone filming while doing it. This is why a lot of spearers mount the camera to the gun, mask etc. Kind of like a set it and forget it deal so you can focus more on spearing. I thought it was a good video, it is a little blurry but if it was the older model go pro without the dive housing it will be. That can be easily fixed. On a chartered boat, you can't control where or if the captain is going to anchor. A lot of buddies I dive with who own private boats buoy dive just because it is easier than pulling up an anchor all day and then some prefer to anchor. Anyway, video and video editing get better the more you do it and find things you can tweak that work for you. Nice hog fish BTW. Safe diving.:cheers:

Seriously, at what times in the video, do you see issues? I know my son had the edge of the fin on the bottom for a few moments, when handling a fish, but i don't recall seeing anything else that should be of concern?

DD, you really don't see all the times either the divers or their gear are grinding into the reef? I made a list, but my computer crashed. It detailed, by the time, each time I noticed it. I still have the list, bbut it is quite long, if you really want me to detail it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom