VIDEO from 1/30/05 Los Coronado's Lobster Shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PnL

Reaction score
We made it Los Coronado's Island on a beautiful and sunny morning. After the DM briefing we jumped into clear blue water, made a general dive plan and descended into the clear water. I gotta tell ya ... having good visibility after diving the storm ridden Shores was awesome! Visibility on the first dive was 40-50 feet, perhaps even more! The water was also more blue than the green waters we have at the Shores - which was good, but I had a GR filter on my video camera and not the CY filter I needed - live and learn! Because of this there is some overexposure which I didn't attempt to correct. Here are some highlights of the dives which I enjoyed especially:

1) When we first entered the water the Sea Lions were cautious and followed us from a short distance, all huddled up like rugby players. There's one shot where I'm taping Tanika swimming along when a lone sea lion swims by and around her. Tanika slowly turns around to see where the lone sea lion went only to find a large group of curious sea lions! The shot, in the video, pans behind her to reveal a scrum of sea lions, proabably organizing their 'buzz the diver' plans for the day

2) I observed, for the first time several "Senorita Cleaning Stations". Although it seems that the senoritas are benefiting from an easy meal, the Blacksmiths were very insistent that they get their cleaning. In the video, you can see that when a senorita attempts to leave the blacksmith congretation, the blacksmiths would chase and sequester the senorita into another round of cleaning!

4) There is also a short clip of a filter feeding crustacean. I couldn't tell what type of crustacean it was as it was between some rocks, but maybe someone know what this bug is? Sean got some good pictures of this critter which shows much more detail about the crustacean than my poor video.

5) There is also a cool segment of a sea lion playing with a stick! He literally plants himself on a rock a meter away from me and chews on a stick - he did this several times before finally leaving. Sean tried to play "fetch" with the sea lion but they seemed to have lost interest.

One of interesting behaviors of the sea lions was their initial guarded curiousity as they hung behind the divers, probably determining the danger level associated with our slow and clumsy movements underwater before allowing their curiosity to get the better of them. They quickly realized the lack of threat we posed and swam by frequently and closely. By the second dive, they showed very little apprehensive and was a little more aggresive in their play - I could easily feel that one was dive-bombing me as I could feel the water pulse through my hood! Never did see that fella! Sean also had one come very close to his head before veering off - I have this on video and I will put it up later. However, we never felt threatened by the sea lions during our dives. Anyway, hope you enjoy the video!

Here is the VIDEO! (48 MB)

Here is the video of the Sea Lion playing "chicken" with Sean. I was betting on Sean, but he flinched at the end

If you've never been to Los Coronado's I highly recommend it, especially if you live in San Diego. Its very close and offers good diving with great visibility - and if you search you can get great deals on the trips!

Paul

I would have flinched too! That seal was haulling a$$ at him.

Josh

Very cool videos! Looks like you guys had a great day of fun diving!

How long does it take to get to the Coronados?

Christian

headhunter:
How long does it take to get to the Coronados?

Christian

At 12 knots in large swells? About 1 hour and 45 min

Looks great... recommend any dive operators for this trip?

PnL,

Thanks for the videos. I am going through some bad withdrawl here in the snow and 25deg weather. I was so excited to see you had a video to view, that I went and put on my gear to watch it :eyebrow: (just kidding, but I thought about it).

Great video, looks like you had fun. My son is out there at Coronado, I will have to tell him about this place.

Thanks again.

Dive Smart;Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

PnL:
Here is the video of the Sea Lion playing "chicken" with Sean. I was betting on Sean, but he flinched at the end

If you've never been to Los Coronado's I highly recommend it, especially if you live in San Diego. Its very close and offers good diving with great visibility - and if you search you can get great deals on the trips!

Paul
That is such a great dive, we dove there once with two other divers, while we got back on the boat one turned to the other and said: What the H*** did you want pulling my fin all those times? But his buddy was about 30' away the whole time, it was a sea lion, but none of us ever saw it.

Back
Top Bottom