Video: Epic dive to Breakwater Barge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was as good of a dive as I've ever had at Breakwater. By Sunday morning, predictions subsided to 6-8ft west swell, and breakwater was calm, sunny, and chock full of classes and dive teams. We were initially worried that the constant churning of the seas during the week would result in low visibility, but things turned out to be much, much better than expected.

We made a LONG kick along the breakwater wall out to the barge. We were a bit unsure of where to take off from the wall, so we traveled nearly the entire length before doubling back and searching for the line. Along the way, we were divebombed multiple times by huge sea lions and visited by friendly cormorants. The barge itself was pretty cool, there's not much left but a flattened wooden frame, but you can definitely make out some interesting structure, steel rivets, etc. And as it sits by itself in the sand, the barge is great shelter for some really big rockfish, greenlings and cabazon. On the way back, we hung out shallow along the breakwater, where apparently there is some beautiful boulder and kelp coverage that I never knew was there. There's always something new to see, even at the old, familiar sites.

[youtubehq]F4RUcGxRgBk[/youtubehq]

Thanks for sharing Kenn. Wow I had no idea BW could be that clear, amazing! I love your bunnies!

I've been in Fla 3 days and you are making me miss Cali diving & my dive buddies even more - if that's possible :D!

Can't wait to dive Lobos next weekend!

I think we passed you coming back in, lol. Unless there were more people with doubles that day?

Scott, yes, we dragged Delia out; I figure somebody ought to be benefiting from all her knowledge :) Over lunch she regaled us with her story about floating on the surface in the fog for four hours at Big Sur!

Kathy and Sarah, thanks! The variable conditions/visibility still surprise me to to this day. I'm taking this as a sign that the winter cold-water clear-viz is back. I may be at Carmel River Beach next weekend, hopefully the conditions keep up!

Kristina, that could have been us! We were the only doubles group I saw out there today, but most of my time above water was spent nearly passing out from hauling all that gear around, so I didn't look very hard. I have a couple of clips with divers we passed on the way back in, I'll post them up and you can let me know if any of them are you :)

I too am hoping to get in some dives next weekend at some point. I have a run on Sunday but would love to get out sometime!

Scott, yes, we dragged Delia out; I figure somebody ought to be benefiting from all her knowledge :) Over lunch she regaled us with her story about floating on the surface in the fog for four hours at Big Sur!

Lol...I forgot about that! Not only is Delia an amazing diver...she's also incredibly brilliant. I miss diving with her.

Thanks, Kenn, I can point me out pretty easily, pink mask :) Now I'm afraid of what the video will show, lol.

Great video Kenn! I was happy to see the bunnies too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom