Video Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a dive trip with a new Ace Pro action video camera, and I have lots of little video clips. I'd like to do some basic editing, such as combine the clips into a longer video, remove the sound of bubbles and my breathing, and add some transitions and text. Some basic color processing would be nice as well.

So...what do you all use for your editing software? I did a search here and found some posts from 2019, but I gotta believe the landscape has changed a little since then. I used Windows Movie Maker in the past (about 9 or 10 years ago) with some success. I am not opposed to paying a little, but free would be good too. I'm running Windows 10 on an Intel-based laptop, i7 processor with 12GB memory.

What hardware do you use and how comfortable are you are with learning?

What hardware do you use and how comfortable are you are with learning?
Oh good question and I should have mentioned and will edit the OP. I'm using a Win10 laptop. As far as comfortability learning I'd rate myself a 5 or 6...something about an old dog and new tricks comes to mind :cool:.

Davinci Resolve
Easy to learn and be up and running with it quickly? I was under the impression that it isn't the simplest software for video postprocessing.

Easy to learn and be up and running with it quickly? I was under the impression that it isn't the simplest software for video postprocessing.

Windows doesn't really have many more options.

On Mac OS or iOS you have more options like iMovie or Lumafusion as free/low cost options.

It's hard to beat Davinci Resolve. The learning curve can be quite steep, but it doesn't need to be if you stick to just basic editing. There are literally thousands of tutorials on YouTube, from beginner right through to stupidly advanced stuff.

Like all video editing software, it does require grunt, and on a laptop it may be rather sluggish.

There's this one too. I know of few people use it including people on yt and isg:

www.cyberlink.com

Shotcut is another free, multi-platform video editor. Shotcut - Home. It is a simpler editor than DaVinci Resolve but, as was stated above, if you stick to the basics, Resolve is straight forward.

You need to put in the learning time for either one and there are a lot of YouTube videos for both. I like this basic Resolve tutorial -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom