Video: Amazing Point Lobos dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Delia joins Team Bunny for a Sunday dive at Point Lobos, and what a day to be out!

We descended somewhat east of Middle Reef and headed straight for Granite Point Wall, which I haven't been to for at least six months. We jumped over the wall to Downtown, and kicked a bit more north to reach the start of Granite Point Pinnacles, seeing some amazing structure along the way. Having great viz really brings out the true majesty of these huge rocks.

On the way back, we noticed that viz inside the cove remained fantastic. At about 25ft, August signaled emphatically, pointing at a cruising leopard shark. We followed it for a few minutes, and it led us to a sandy patch where no fewer than six sharks were leisurely cruising back and forth. That's definitely the most I've ever seen at once, and the last time was on a dive to GPW as well. I guess for us, leopard sharks are to GPW as seals are to McAbee.

2 hours, 23 minutes total, and by some stroke of luck AWS was open on Sunday so we had our tanks filled and ready to go again by the end of the day.

[youtubehq]AYv0veZtKPE[/youtubehq]​

Very nice Kenn :)

We had great vis on Saturday too. I kept turning over and looking up. We could see the boat which was probably over 70 feet above and sideways to us. Unfortunately the surge was pretty bad in shallower water. We got tossed around pretty good in the 55 foot range as we were ascending.

So far I have yet to see a Leopard shark and am jealous you saw so many at once :(

Thank you Gombessa:

I have always enjoyed diving Pt. Lobos. You captured some great diving-also like your musical score.

Wow, Kenn, that's great! Makes one want to grab their gear and head out!
I love when I see videos like this, makes me look forward to my next trip to Lobos.

Thanks everyone. I saw Peter and Kathy's report from Saturday and I was thrilled to find that conditions were still good on Sunday. Seems like an auspicious start to the winter diving season!

I love Point Lobos. While diving there a few weeks earlier I spotted two Leopard sharks. They are beautiful creatures. Awesome, six leopard in one dive.
Thanks for sharing your video.

Wow -- what beautiful creatures! I have yet to see one, so I guess I have to come back to Monterey, huh?

Which side of the cove is Granite Point? I'm not sure I've been there.

Beautiful footage of the krill -- the excellent vis really allowed you to show what a defined band of water they were in.

And love the signature bunnies . . .

Wow -- what beautiful creatures! I have yet to see one, so I guess I have to come back to Monterey, huh?

They're quote illusive to me too. I've been hearing reports of people seeing them for months until we ran into them again yesterday. They're usually quite skittish but a few of them stayed put for us this time.

Which side of the cove is Granite Point? I'm not sure I've been there.

Granite point wall (more of a super-long pinnacle) is past the mouth of Whalers Cove, on the eastern side. You have to pass Coal Chute Cove (our excuse for NorCal caverns) ScubaBoard Gallery - Point Lobos Dive Map v2.0

It's a gorgeous dive site, kickable if needed, and just a few minutes on the trigger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom