Video: 10/17/2009 Escapade Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two dives off the Escapade on Saturday; we were crossing our fingers that conditions would be better than the last weekend, and that a few days of calm after the first storm blew over would be enough to clear things up.

Dive 1: Ballbuster. This was the first time I've been out there, and there was quite a bit of particulate matter in the water, along with a mass of pretty friggin' large sea nettles to dodge. I didn't really get a good sense of the site, except to note that there were plenty of metridium out, and the usual rockfish/lingcod suspects about. I can't wait to head back in better viz.

Dive 2: Anchors 2 & 3: Another first for me. We were told that there isn't much out there other than the anchors, so each group kicked out a bit to find and explore the various shale beds surrounding the site. I loved seeing the orthogonal cut of the shale slabs, and noting that the corynactis only grew along the vertical faces of the shale. The anchors themselves were impressively large, with a mass of steel cable along with giant chain links. They were also home to some copper and vermillion rockfish of impressive size.

Thanks for sharing your dives and video! Especially for us sick people who were on the beach. Wish we could have made it.

Don, we were really bummed to find out you guys couldn't make it! Hope you're feeling better!

It was a fun day to be out on the water. The conditions were rough at Ballbuster but at Anchors2/3 the water smoothed out and the sun came out...

The second dive was better than the first. We caw a small school of Mola's.. about 7 individuals cruising around near us. Then a duo, 1 big 1 small. Great day to be out.

Don, Sorry you missed out... we'll have to do another boat soon to make up.

Ben

Hey Ben! How did you do on dive 1 with all the sea nettles? Did you remember the 5 D's of Diving? : Dive, Duck, Dip, Dodge and.....Dive. Let me know if you need more time with the wrench.

The school of Mola mola on the second dive was very cool. The 2nd dive was way better than I expected.

Kenn,

Thanks for sharing - nice video. Please tell Cynthia Happy Birthday.

Did you remember the 5 D's of Diving? : Dive, Duck, Dip, Dodge and.....Dive. Let me know if you need more time with the wrench.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Hey Ben! How did you do on dive 1 with all the sea nettles? Did you remember the 5 D's of Diving? : Dive, Duck, Dip, Dodge and.....Dive. Let me know if you need more time with the wrench.

The school of Mola mola on the second dive was very cool. The 2nd dive was way better than I expected.

I was a little paranoid... but I had my buddy behind me... Hold on... come to think about it he was behind me the whole time.. I wonder why?

Seeing about 7 divers circled around the huge anchor was kinda funny... With all those HID's no wonder the Molas came over to check us out.

Our side trip to the shale formations made us miss the molas completely. I'm still zero for whatever on mola spottings in Monterey!

The second dive was way better for me as well, partially because of the calmer conditions and greater light penetration, but also because the nettles were absent. I think my SAC rate dropped by half not having to deal with fast-current nettles streaming across a pinnacle!

Ted and I were the 3rd team in behind Team Kitty then Nils, Cynthia and Karl. Seeing the crowd at the anchor we proceeded North along the shale... we found a lot of critters hanging out on the shelves and quite a few nudis. About 20 min I saw a school of 6-7 small individuals.. by the time I got Ted's attention they were gone... but after we turned back towards the anchor we kept seeing glimpses of them throughout the dive.

The big Mola was was nice enough to let the birthday girl get really close to him :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom