Victory "green River" Scuba Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last autumn I have lost my Deep Sea Supply wing knife, after 6 years. In cold water, with thick gloves and wearing a stage, I had probably wrongly inserted it back. It was a perfect device for cutting some rope in case of entanglement, but pretty small to be used as a tool with thick gloves. I haven't taken care of it ever, so it had some rust on it, but to me it didn't matter.

Losing it, I have started to think what I want exactly. I have realized that most of the time I was using the scissors (I also had a DGX pair of scissors). They did a better job at cutting fishing nets from wrecks. Still, the scissors are not the best tool for anything else, like scraping some mussels from the wreck to see a feature, or cutting an old electrical cable or very thick boat rope. The lost knife wasn't also a good tool, because it was too small and I always hated how hard is to put it back. So while I had it as a safety device, I was always hesitating to take it out for normal, non-emergency purposes. And I never had an emergency need for it anyway :)

So I decided that in the end the safety device will remain the scissors and I want a tool knife. Big enough to be used with gloves, cheap enough not to care about it, and solid enough to be abused.

In terms of design the Argonaut from Aqualung looks great (even if I am not sure about the titanium thing), but much too expensive for a knife. I have found some other fancy brands with great knives, but I wanted something that can be abused or lost without regrets. Blunt tip was also a mandatory requirements, so all Rambo-style knife were excluded.

My searches pointed me to this knife. I have no idea why it's called "green river" but it seems this is some generic term in US for some kind of knives (even if this one is made in New Zeeland). Here on the forum I found 2-3 posts about it, but they all looked like pretty lame advertising, no real review, which made me doubt it a little. I have liked that it comes with two types of sheath (both the standard wing one made of 2" harness, but also a plastic one with suicide clip that can be easily hanged from a d-ring when you know you'll use it underwater and you want it in a very accessible position). At 30 euro it is cheap enough not to care. In the end, even with no reviews here, i decided to order it (short blunt tip version). Even this short version is pretty big (bigger than what I was expecting). The blade is thick and solid. It seems to be sharp enough. I cannot say yet how rust resistant it will be or how sharp will the serrated edge remain after some abuse, but I will come back in a few weeks/months with an update. The only missing thing is the absence of a metallic end to the handle, to be used for hitting. Also, something that I didn't know (but I think i'm ok with that) is that it only has the serrated edge; the opposite edge is not sharp. I guess that if I will ever want, I could sharpen the opposite edge, but for now I don't think I need it.
DSC_0330.JPG

As promised, a post dive feedback: had to install a new buoy on a wreck for the start of the season. This meant to untangle the old rope, twisted by the winter storms, in order to locate the chain under the layers of mussels. I had to cut the rope a few times, to cut away mussels and to dig in the layer of mussels to find the chain hole. The knife was pretty much abused but it looked nice, shiny and pretty much unscratched after. I have also played cutting some coaxial cable hanging from the ceiling in a room. It worked exactly as expected and I think it is a good tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom