Very Small Compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a thought, is there a small compressor that could deliver very high pressure (5000psi) at a very low cfm rate that could be adapted for SCUBA use? My thought involves building a home filling station that would take a few hours to fill tanks running a small compressor. Think trickle charger for SCUBA tanks.

I already have a large shop (non-SCUBA) air compressor that gets the neighbors excited if I forget and leave it on overnight!

In the period from WWII to the mid 70's, the govt purchased thousands of small compressors. These were used for various military purposes, aircraft, torpedo, cannon, missile, etc. Generally, the fill rates varied from 0.5 - 4 cfm and press ratings of 2000-3000 psi. A good candidate for your plans might be the Walter Kidde 2 cfm, 4 stg, HP compressor. These show up in the retail marketplace but also govtliquidation.com. The real output of this unit is 2.2 cfm/4000 psi. The trick would be adapting an engine or motor as this requires a drive adapter of some kind. Easier to manage would be the 3 stage Kidde rated 3.5 cfm/3000 psi. These can be directly coupled to an engine using a spline adapter. The reason that they can be easily coupled is that rotation is left hand (fan). Smaller military pumps such as the Cornelius and Stewart Warner are also popular with home builders. These are rated variously 0.5-2.0 cfm/2000-3000 psi. Some of the SW pumps go up to 4 cfm. All are three stage and can be direct coupled.

Just like pescador 775 "Pesky" have mentioned the small Cornelius military pumps might be can fitted your need, here is one of them just listing in the ebay.

Small Aircraft Style Air Compressor - (eBay item 140182542737 end time Nov-29-07 18:47:35 PST)

It's rated 0.5cfm / 1500 psi in original, but may working up to 2000 psi with no problem even to 2250 psi.

If we talking on very small size compressor also be rated with 5000 psi , then the Marotta M-PACT™ 6000 High-Pressure Pure Air Generator (HPPAG) System "12-14 SLPM / 5880 PSI" is the target.

M-PACT™ Pure Air Compression Technologies

One of the military aircraft I worked on (F-4) had a small compressor similar to the one advertised in that ebay link. It was capable of putting out 3000 psi, but it was hydraulically driven. I would think one could adapt it for use with a spine type drive.

But, one thing I wanted to mention after clicking on the M-Pact link in the above post, is that those compressors required 115 VAC but at 400Hz . Usual house current is 60Hz.

This might pose another problem. Pesky or pp-1-3... might have a solution, but until you find a way to power it, I would avoid it.

couv

I have a stewart Warner 4cfm pump with a bad 3 stage. I machined/fabricated an adapter for a face mount 3 hp electric motor. It worked quite well...until the third stage piston rings broke. Now I have a Rix. It really isn't worth messing with anything less than 2 cfm or so, you really can't leave it running, and they are LOUD...

Uh no. I don't believe you can use an oil lubricated compressor, no matter what kind of filter you put on it. Not good.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess I’ll just have to invent something! A small, slow running, quiet compressor that will fill my tanks in hours instead of minutes.

I know about that tematic,ther arethe shipinternal Scutteldor as fireshot controll

compressors that also pump nitrogen in/out the ships carrgobays.You can get a

Katmiun as else poisoning from them,there are also a Kompressor on board in the

near off the brigde that provides a part off the the Ships ventilatoin.ther is it

abel to bottel filtert breathair to 300bar Firfighting/diving/ship on fire

brigdeaircontrollmangent ...

E.L.7*

Uh no. I don't believe you can use an oil lubricated compressor, no matter what kind of filter you put on it. Not good.

Huh? Every large scuba compressor that I can think of is oil pressure fed. The RIX'es aren't, but they're not typically used in dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom