very old mystery tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laguna230diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought some old steels to mess around with and sell, and I have a bunch of 72's and 2 strange tanks. The first one is a bailout bottle on a USD backpack. Its somewhere around 50 cf and I know its very old, has RENE stamped in the top. Heard this was the place where USD's first tanks where sold for in cali. The other tank is a VERY skinny tall steel with hydros going back to 1951 or 1945. The valve comes straight out of the top with a "T" on top (kinda like a wreck reel screw). Im guessing its a 33.. or maybe bigger. The threads look in between the .5" and .75" Anybody point me in a way to identify these vintage tanks?

I also have some healthways and sportsman and other USD tanks... so PM me if you are looking for some vintage steel with J-valves... I want to put K-valves on a set of USD and make my first doubles.

I will post pics as soon as my comp isnt goofing up.
thanks!
:dork2:

Rene Bussoz was the name of the first owner of US Divers. He actually started US Divers. I can't remember the exact dates, but it was very early 50's (maybe 1949).

That tank is probably from the early 50's.

US Divers began as René's Sporting Goods in 1948. Drew Richardson's article "A brief history of scuba in the United States", SPUMS Journal Volume 29 No.3 September 1999, has this to say about René Bussoz:

The commercial production of the Aqualung in France allowed Europeans to scuba dive. but the equipment was not available in the US until 1948. That year Rene’s Sporting Goods opened in Westwood, Los Angeles near UCLA. An immigrant from France, Rene Bussoz was the husband of a cousin of Simone Cousteau. Rene displayed three Aqualungs from Cousteau at the 1948 National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA) show in New York. The Show generated moderate interest in scuba. Soon after, the first US article on Cousteau appeared in Science Illustrated.

http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/6019/1/SPUMS_V29N3_12.pdf

The Rene tank might be valuable to a collector. For the skinny one, without seeing it, I'll guess it is a converted CO2 extinguisher tank. There were many CO2 and aircraft O2 tanks that were military surpluss and converted to SCUBA in the late 40's and early 50's. These tank bottoms were offten crowned with 4 or 5 feet.

the tall skinny tank is about the same height as the 72's. It has a flat bottom, but no pseudofeet... just made up a word.

I was thinking that the Rene tank would be very collectable
it has the USD address stamped on one side 1045 broxton avenue. I think its born date was in 1954. It has the ICC rather than DOT on it, and an operating pressure of 1800psi.
I was really surprised to see that its 3AA with how old it is, the tall skinny tank is a 3A (carbide steel). The skinny tank was made in the USA by OC&MCO clevland and has an opperating pressure of 2015psi. I think its an antique 40cf. It also has a symbol with a capital "N" inside of a sheild (like an interstate sign) If you guys know any collectors or someone who can give me a ballpark of the value on these tanks please let me know! I would love to see these wind up in the right hands.

thanks for all the replies!
-brandon

I think that the 3AA tanks have been around since around WWII. By 1954 they were very common. They were all ICC in those years. I can’t remember when they switched over to DOT, but it was some years later. I think it was in the late 60’s, but I am not sure. I have several ICC tanks.

The 3A shinny cylinder sounds just like and old O2 tank. I wouldn’t call it an antique, just old. The N inside the shield sound like it was made by Norris. That is their symbol.

The RENE tank would have a collector’s value, but the other one probably not. I may be wrong, but it is hard to tell without pictures.

know of anyone who could appraise them? that tank would be realll cool with a black label broxton double hose.. even cooler if they'd pay me as much haha

I think that the 3AA tanks have been around since around WWII. By 1954 they were very common. They were all ICC in those years. I can’t remember when they switched over to DOT, but it was some years later. I think it was in the late 60’s, but I am not sure. I have several ICC tanks.

The 3A shinny cylinder sounds just like and old O2 tank. I wouldn’t call it an antique, just old. The N inside the shield sound like it was made by Norris. That is their symbol.

The RENE tank would have a collector’s value, but the other one probably not. I may be wrong, but it is hard to tell without pictures.

The ICC tanks switched over to DOT tanks when the Interstate Commerce Commission became the Department of Transportation:
Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC)

Bureau of Motor Carriers established to administer provisions of the Motor Carrier Act (49 Stat. 543), August 9, 1935. Redesignated Section of Motor Carrier Safety in newly established Bureau of Operations and Compliance as part of an ICC reorganization, 1965. Transferred to DOT and assigned to FHA as Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety, 1967. See 398.1
General Records of the Department of Transportation [DOT]
It looks like it was the ICC between August of 1925 and 1965.

SeaRat

I have a Walter Kidde 72 that was born in July, 1968 that has the ICC stamp on it. The DOT officially "opened for business" on April 1, 1967. I guess it just took a while for WK to get new stamps for their tanks.

know of anyone who could appraise them? that tank would be realll cool with a black label broxton double hose.. even cooler if they'd pay me as much haha

The easiest way to get an idea is to watch ebay for similar items. The small Rene tanks pop up a few times a year. The Rene stamp may add a few dollars to its value but only to someone who would maybe want to match it up to a Broxton. They are not that common but hardly rare or extremely valuable.

The other sound like a run of the mill surplus military or commercial cylinder converted to scuba.

Back
Top Bottom