very old mystery tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More than likely you have what is listed as the "shallow water tank block" in the old catalogs. It doesn't state what the cibic feet is. A tank block is a tank, valve and harness.

maybe so, the tank has no boot, and it is on a USD backpack with a steel handle on the side. It has a j-valve and I think it has 1/2 inch threads (not around the tank right now)

PicAquaLung2.jpg
tank looks a lot like that, but with a j-valve and a backpack

Does it have the "Aqua-Lung" label like that? That would add a bit to its value.

the tanks are at my girlfreinds house in Pittsburgh right now, so i wont see them again for two weeks, I don't think it has that sticker on there

A back pack wouldn't be original to that tank those came later. It would be a 1" strap harness with a couple of bands.

The unit was listed in the 1961 US Diver catalog as a "VIGO."

Three sizes:
1017....24 CuFt ...$50.00
1021 ...18 CuFt ...$45.00
1034 ...38 CuFt ...$69.95

Appears to be a 24 or 38 CuFt. Need the length of the tank to ascertain the size

Sold with a regulator

Plastic harness was standard.

The decal is original for the units

Has some, but very little value, as a collectors item -especially with out the regulator - It was not a mainstream unit and has very little "romance" associated with it.

<<< VIgo is a bay in Spain... Recall the book "Treasure divers of Vigo bay?" The unit was named after the book and the bay...The bay was named after a long forgotten Spanish Nobleman who helped finance the U.S. Revolutionary War. The only tribute to Vigo in the US is a large statue in Indiana..>>>

Now you know - probably more than you wanted to know or needed to know.

Would be a great item to dive at Portage Quarry during the Legends week end in August

sdm

Back
Top Bottom