Very large and pesky remora in Ambergris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasdivechick

Contributor
Reaction score
Texas, but about to move to waterless Shreveport f
# of dives
100 - 199
While diving the B & D site off Ambergris Caye last week, I was joined by a overly friendly remora. It was so large that at first I thought it was a ling (approx 3-4ft). He thought I was mama nurse shark and followed me for the entire 50 min dive, sometimes hanging out by my stomach and then swooping toward my face and head. At first I thought it was funny but after a while it became really annoying. Has anyone had this experience? Is this a local remora that associates divers with food (like the sharks, grouper, and rays)?

I've never dove off Ambergris Caye, but was in Roatan last month and had the same experience. Fortunately, "our" remora was only about 8"-10" and switched off between me and my buddies. I'm curious to know others experiences too.

Earlier this month, we had a 16-18" tag along for several minutes off Lighthouse Reef (Belize).

Back on board, our DM said they will attach to a diver and further she said, "To remove them, pull forward not aft."

Can anyone confirm that statement?

I saw this on a few dives at French Cay, Turks & Caicos. It was also with a larger sized ramora 3-4 ft. I would imagine it would become quite annoying after a while.

We were in Utila this April when a small remora took a liking to our divemaster's tank. He signaled me over to see and I got off a few shots. He was difficult to shoo away from the tank so we continued the dive - after about 15 minutes he swam off on his own. :D:D

Attachments

• 20090407_225.jpg
    20090407_225.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20090407_226.jpg
    20090407_226.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20090407_227.jpg
    20090407_227.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 46
yeah, remoras do that sort of thing all over the world

i've been "attacked" in North Florida and the Caymans. my cousin got attacked in St. Kitts

it's basically their typical behavior

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom