Very disappointed with my DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieLass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I brought a DC 800 almost 12 months ago. I did an underwater photography course and was very happy with most of my pics.
However during a dive holiday to the Great Barrier Reef in Sept 09 the buttons on the housing were continually sticking and became impossible to use.
You can imagine how disappointed I was being in such a beautiful place and unable to take pics.
The company I purchased the camera from returned it to the importer who replaced the housing with supposedly a 'new' housing. However I debate this as the replacement already had a number of scratches and looked used.
I was using the replacement successfully for about 3 months when on a second dive of the day (without being opened) the housing flooded and totally ruined the camera inside.
After removing the water logged camera I tried to reseal the housing and the latch broke off in my hand.
I am very careful and meticulous with all my gear and the camera and all accessories were well maintained.
I am so disappointed I can't begin to tell you how much.
So now all I can do is hope to get a refund because I am not at all happy with the Sealife brand right now.
Just sharing my experience so you can take the good and bad reports when you are considering your next uw camera purchase.

Why don't you post on the SeaLife - ScubaBoard forum for the Sealife Rep to address your problems on behalf of the company?

the rep is on this forum too. He was fairly respnsive. I think his name is sealife joe.

the customer service directly through sealife is pretty good and they have a very good reputation.

I would ask sealife and the place you bought it if you can exhange it for a DC1000. I had the 800 and had problems with the camera freezing up, I swapped it through the shop I bought it at for the 1000. I like it much better.

Yup here is his screen name;

SeaLife Joe

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

the rep is on this forum too. He was fairly respnsive. I think his name is sealife joe.

the customer service directly through sealife is pretty good and they have a very good reputation.

I would ask sealife and the place you bought it if you can exhange it for a DC1000. I had the 800 and had problems with the camera freezing up, I swapped it through the shop I bought it at for the 1000. I like it much better.
Sometimes. I guess I could send him a PM to take a look here; will do so.

Sorry to be jumping in so late but never got a notice on the original posting.

Aussielass, sorry to hear about the incident withthe camera. Our Australian distributor has been very good with handling these situations and am not sure what could have happened on the last service return. By all means, send that camera back and ask them to evaluate again and mention that Joe has suggested the upgrade to the DC1000. I will then get an email from them to confirm this.

The latch breaking sounds like a possible defect in the molding but that usually services on the first time using it.

Send it in and have them take a look at it again.

Regards,
Joe

Thats what I am talking about! Nice work SeaLife Joe!

Thank you for your replies.
Thanks Joe. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Cheers
Jen

I think this would have worked better if the original poster had posted on the Sealife Manufacture forum as I suggested, but next time I'll just PM Joe faster. Whatever gets results fastest. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom