Very dangerous experience - advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like everyone else... Wow that is a scary story and so sorry you had to experience this. Putting trust of your life in the hands of such an instructor is a sad thing and I hope we all learn the outcome and name of the instructor/operation.
Your very lucky your bf did as well as he did and that you had some prior knowledge and experience. I could just imagine what would have happened if you hadn't.
Past performance is an indicator of future and I expect if left to continue this instructor will continually risk others lives. And I would wage a bet that there are others with complaints about him. On the last dive that you thumbed you mentioned there were other divers with the boat diver that helped... Curious if they made any comments to you guys about how bad this situation was? Or if there were others on the island who felt the instructor was elusive too?
Did you guys check references before diving with him?
Very happy your back at it and safe. Good luck and happy diving.

What a nightmare... You did the one right thing to listen to that little voice inside to call the dive. Going through with the dive could have resulted in a worse outcome. Sounds to me like the guy really isn't an instructor and was just faking it. I can't believe that a certified instructor could be so careless and stupid!
Good luck with proceedings.

Thanks for the responses :)

Water Bug, there was another couple there, and the guy was diving. He got certified OWD by this same instructor at the beginning of this year, had his PADI card and everything, but hadn't received his manual or done any of the theory yet. :confused:

We have since spoken to quite a few people (including instructors) who know, or know of, this guy's bad reputation. Hopefully if this is the case, PADI will already have complaints on their files which will make the investigation easier. I've already heard from PADI so it looks like things are moving now...

I have also heard back from the "instructor" and he refuses to return our money. We left the island at 5:30am instead of midday on the last day as we couldn't stand being there anymore, and he argues that we "abandoned" the course, and that the theory, exercises and remaining immersions were going to be done in that time. I'm sure I don't need to point out to you experienced divers how ridiculous it is to expect to do 8-10 hours theory, 3 confined water dives and 2 open water dives in 6.5 hours!!

Another kind offer from this "instructor", instead of returning our money, is to leave the course open for when we would like to return to finish it!!!!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

This just gets weirder all the time....

Good news though, we have almost finished the theory part of our course with the new diving school (who are great!) and bf is doing really well :) we're almost ready to do our cert dives!

Glad to see your on the righ track now.:D
Have fun with the dives.

......Good news though, we have almost finished the theory part of our course with the new diving school (who are great!) and bf is doing really well :) we're almost ready to do our cert dives!

You guys are going to get properly trained and go on diving and forget all about the yahoo that first brought you to this board. A new world awaits you both and it will be all consuming (or it was for me at least) and it will be all you think about. Enjoy and continue to share on this board as well as to pass along wisdom to others as you gain experience. Enjoy yourself and always dive safe.

Thanks for the responses :)

Another kind offer from this "instructor", instead of returning our money, is to leave the course open for when we would like to return to finish it!!!!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

This just gets weirder all the time....
!

You may want to ask the local authorities to check on this guy's mental health...:D

So glad you didn't give up! Way to go!

It seems that there are (sadly enough) folks who become instructors simply to turn a profit. It appears that that is the kind that you met first time out. :depressed:

However, there are also instructors that LOVE diving (and I would say that this is the majority) and they just can't wait to "convert" you! (I am a missionary, so I can relate!) :D The fact that they can make a living at it is a fringe benefit!

I was so fortunate to have run into the evangelistic type of instructor when I was first interested in diving 25 years ago. He truly wanted us to enjoy diving as much as he did and he made no bones about it. His zeal was evident and infectious. The students responded by being on time and prepared and we all got maximum benefit from each hour in the class and in the pool (16 hours each). It was serious fun. I don't remember any diver being the least bit anxious when we finally got to open water because we had been primed so well! We were all responding as if to say, "Bring it on!"

Hopefully, you'll both get to this level and be confident rather than uncomfortable going under the big blue. Seems like you've gotten a good handle on it. Wish you both well! :wink:

I've checked the school's website and this person is not trained or authorized to lead expeditions or teach diving.
For others reading to learn, that would have been a good idea before booking and traveling.

Sounds like a horrible experience TF, all the way around. Glad you were able to save the BF and good luck at getting in with a reputable Instructor soon. Laws and protections vary greatly there from the US I'm sure, but if you can prove all this then you should pursue all legal means to obtain refunds on all expenses possible. Having your BF back up you story should work well locally.
I agree... sharing the name might help someone else AVOID them in the future. It might also help them to see things YOUR way. :D
I got to disagee, Boss. TF is a brand new member with one voice. You know what happens when one does that; then they go on trial here.

As it is, she's honestly seeking help for herself and in pursuit of proper channels. :thumb: Good call, TF - stay the course.

BTW your English is great...!! :medal: You know what they call a person who can only speak one language? American. :blush:

I have also heard back from the "instructor" and he refuses to return our money. We left the island at 5:30am instead of midday on the last day as we couldn't stand being there anymore, and he argues that we "abandoned" the course, and that the theory, exercises and remaining immersions were going to be done in that time. I'm sure I don't need to point out to you experienced divers how ridiculous it is to expect to do 8-10 hours theory, 3 confined water dives and 2 open water dives in 6.5 hours!!

Heh, apparently he doesn't realize that the theory / coursework / tests are supposed to be completed BEFORE you hit the (open) water :shakehead:

Glad to hear things are going well for you with the new instructor....enjoy your time underwater! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom