Very dangerous experience - advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone! We are back from Old Providence and certified! It was amazing, the sea is very very clear and we got to see all sorts of things: a couple of nurse sharks, turtles, two manta rays on the very first dive.... amazing! The instructor was very very good, bf now loves it and is asking when the next diving trip is :) problem solved :)

Congratulations tutifruti. It is great that you stuck with it and there is no surprise your boyfriend loves it. Now you both need to get out and dive often. That is the only cure.

FYI, the standards for the PADI OW are as such:

1. If you do a DSD, divers must review the PADI flipchart, or chapter one in the book, and do some confined water skills in water shallow enough to stand up in before doing OW Dive 1. This includes mask clearing, reg recovery, inflator use, air sharing. Or do KR 1 and CW 1.

2. Divers must complete knowledge review 1-3, and confined water sessions 1-3 before doing OW Dive 2.
3. Divers must complete all knowledge reviews 1-5, and confined water sessions 1-5 and do a 10 min float test, before doing OW Dives 3&4, and do a 10 min float test.
4. Complete the 200-300yd swim test and final test before certification.
5. Max depth for dives 1 and 2 is 40ft. MAx depth for dives 3&4 are 60ft.

Oh, and even more important than all of that is all divers must sign 3-4 forms before any in water activities. So, if any of that is not done, a PADI instructor is violating standards. Also a good thing to remember is that anyone may call any dive for any reason at any time. Do not ever let someone talk you into doing something you do not want to do. Its not a bad idea to check credentials BEFORE you sign up for a course.

Hello everyone! We are back from Old Providence and certified! It was amazing, the sea is very very clear and we got to see all sorts of things: a couple of nurse sharks, turtles, two manta rays on the very first dive.... amazing! The instructor was very very good, bf now loves it and is asking when the next diving trip is :) problem solved :)
Super! Glad to hear. Manatas huh? Well, whatever kind of ray they were, I dig rays - all types. Pretty neat fish. Mostly I'm glad you found a good Instructor and got it done right. :medal:

I've never been that far south so have no personal experiences in how things work there, but I wish you the best in obtaining refunds and having that dangerous Inst kicked out of Padi at least. Whatever, keep diving and having fun.
Amazing story, and how scary!

Please do return to tell us what the outcome of your complaint is. I am very interested in finding out how such matters are addressed and ultimately resolved!

So glad you kept on going and actually enjoying your new instruction. Your boyfriend is lucky to have you!

Frightening story. The "instructor" should be put behind bars. I'm not an attorney and I don't know how the courts work in Colombia but it sounds like attempted homicide or negligence that could have caused serious permanent injury or death. I hope he spends a long time in a really dirty place wearing orange pijamas and shackled hand and foot.
Haha, I don't know where Leapfrog actually is, but we are talking about Columbia; alpanian would be surprised it's on the same planet for the differences between some parts of the country and Europe. This advisory from the US State Department might give you some idea: Colombia

One excerpt...
U.S. government officials and their families in Colombia are permitted to travel to major cities in the country, but normally only by air. They cannot use inter- or intra-city bus transportation, or travel by road outside urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.

I'd be very curious to know what the eventual outcome with that original instructor is. Do keep us posted won't you?

And well done for getting properly instructed and certified. Here's hoping you'll have many years of good diving.

thanks for the replies.

Deef, don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

DandyDon, in answer to your first post, I grew up in the UK so I would be surprised if my English wasn't actually better than my Spanish :wink:

In answer to your second post, the Colombian stereotype for 'gringo' is an exaggerated, paranoid person who thinks there's a drug lord/bomb/kidnapper on every corner :D This usually changes after they spend some time here and a lot of foreigners end up coming back, some even to live!

It's not that bad here you know... you should come check it out for yourself :) Apparently Malpelo, in the pacific, is one of the best places to dive in the world.

DandyDon, in answer to your first post, I grew up in the UK so I would be surprised if my English wasn't actually better than my Spanish :wink:

:rofl3:I also thought you said that you weren't fully fluent in English and I was equally impressed with your good grasp of the English language. But I reread your first post now and noticed that you didn't claim not to be English speaking but simply that you've done all of your diving in Spanish.

I do most of my diving in Afrikaans but I don't think the fish really understand me anyway so I generally just shut up nowadays:wink:

thanks for the replies.

Deef, don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

In answer to your second post, the Colombian stereotype for 'gringo' is an exaggerated, paranoid person who thinks there's a drug lord/bomb/kidnapper on every corner :D This usually changes after they spend some time here and a lot of foreigners end up coming back, some even to live!

It's not that bad here you know... you should come check it out for yourself :) Apparently Malpelo, in the pacific, is one of the best places to dive in the world.

Ah ok, thanks! :thumb:

Hello everyone! I know I'm getting in on this one very late, but I'm very interested in finding out what happens to this psychotic animal passing himself as an instructor. He may have the cert card that says he is, but he is definitely no instructor - PERIOD. Tutifruti, thank you and your BF for sticking with it, your courage and determination are second to none. Thank you also for following the proper course of action.

MOD - After PADI handles their end of things (hopefully they will be swift and effective) and all legal/other actions are finished, would it be possible then to get the names etc so we can make sure that regardless of PADI's actions, this guy doesn't get a chance to endanger anyone again?
Thanks all,
George
PADI MSDT

Back
Top Bottom