Versatility with wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g8rphan19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still a beginner and I'm trying to figure out what's the best choice for me as far as wetsuits go.

I live in north Florida, and I'm interested in springs, shore dives, and offshore dives. The water temps range from 68 to about 80. On my first checkout dive (a local spring) we had 5mm wetsuits in 69 degree water temps. The wetsuit gave adequate warmth when moving around, but when staying still, waiting to do simple tasks/exercises (10 minutes without exerting much energy) I started getting cold, and shivvered at times.

The next day we went to an offshore wreck. I dove with no exposure suit, just a t-shirt and swim trunks. Above the thermocline, it was 78-79 degrees; below it was 74. It was a little chilly at first but I quickly got used to the cooler temp. It wasn't bad enough to shivver, like it was at the spring the previous day. A thin shorty would have been nice though.

Perhaps I could get a 3mm fullsuit and a 2-3mm shorty and wear both in the springs. I know being comfortable at a certain temperatur is subjective. If anyone has a similar comfort zone please reply or PM me with your 2 cents.

Thanks,

Michael

Take a look at the Bare 5mm Sport Men's Step-In Hooded Vest. If you had one of those to wear over a 3mm or 5mm fullsuit when it gets cold, you could also wear the vest by itself.

Take a look at the Bare 5mm Sport Men's Step-In Hooded Vest. If you had one of those to wear over a 3mm or 5mm fullsuit when it gets cold, you could also wear the vest by itself.

Adding that vest is a great suggestion. it can be worn over 3, 5 or 7mm suits to kick them up a notch. Eliminating the neck opening and adding rubber to the core will help a lot.

I use the 7mm version and think a lot of the combo.

Pete

Thanks for the suggestions. In regards to the 7mm, is it still comfortable to wear in layers? The kid from the Christmas Story comes to mind, the scene where he's got so many layers of clothes on, he can't put his arms down.

Thanks for the suggestions. In regards to the 7mm, is it still comfortable to wear in layers? The kid from the Christmas Story comes to mind, the scene where he's got so many layers of clothes on, he can't put his arms down.

I don't give 7/7 a second thought.

Like anything else it comes down to fit and training. I like to jump in to 82 degree water in a 2mm shorty as much as the next person, don't get me wrong.

A well fit 7/7 suit and a little acclimation and it becomes a non issue. Exposure protection is the price of admission and it gets more extensive as the temp drops. Along the way there is overlap with drysuits and eventually a drysuit becomes the suit of choice.

If you don't have full mobility in a wetsuit it's the wrong size or cut.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom